Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black spots on Fry now noticed on adult Ikola?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black spots on Fry now noticed on adult Ikola?

Well I have had fry that these spots in there color come and go it is like camo on the fry during water change they will get spotted up and it will go away a bit usually about 6 months old they will loose the spots. Well I noticed today that one of my adults has few black spots on her aswell. I didnt get any good photos yet of them but you can see in the video's the fry and how he is spotted up. Its like a pigment problem with there skin color I am guessing its from the food maybe? I feed Danichi 1mm veggie deluxe, NLS 1mm, and kens spirilina flakes and kens spirilina disc's. Now who else has had any problems like these? These are not on the outside of the skin but in the skins actual color no bumps etc.... Interested in what you all have to say. I know MJ has wrote a few essey's on the subject. lol Thanks CD

I have read that it is just natural and more common in fry

something about the mood they are in
    Tropheus Elitist Maximus
    150 Troph & Petro mix Link
    ** P.Trewavasae P.F.Chimba P.M.green **
    ** T.Zongwe**

150 Tropheus Moorii "Murago" Link

Comment

Cichlids are one of the few fishes that show moods by changing their pigmentation (color patterns, actual colors, etc. Not just getting pale when stressed). It's really a fascinating adaptation for communication.

I'm no Tropheus buff, but I've seen Geoff's Trophs enough to know that their mood (aggression, submission, showing off, etc.) is very much reflected in their coloration. I've even seen a sub-adult go from juvenile to adult coloration about 3 times back and forth within the span of a couple minutes. Amazing, really.

I wouldn't worry about the food. I would bet that this is a completely natural way of communicating within the colony.
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

interesting!
        i just love cichlids!

get some pics when you can and we can evaluate further:)
        FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Derrick View Post
          I know MJ has wrote a few essey's on the subject. lol Thanks CD
          Don't read to much into the drunk postin bro.

Did you do a search on trophs.com?

I'm just a noob to Geoff and Mike. They know they fish man.
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

originally the black spots were believed to be from wild fish that while in their holding ponds were eating bird crap. It was believed to be from the foliage rich vegetation that caused the spots. Too high of vegtable content, too much spirulina etc..

Mostly the black spots appear in Ikola, moliro, chipimbi, some rainbows and other sp.reds. I dont think I have ever seen them in Duboisi, brichardi types, or other sp.black northern fish. I am not sure how they will classify Bulu Point Cherry Spots, but I think I have seen it in pondraised versions of them.

It was heavily believed the pondraised fishes were culprit of this from the birds.

Some black spots is perfectly normal on Ikola because the band is not 100% yellow on all fishes.

Post a picture, I know I got a couple pics of mine on here where they have some spots.

The spots do go away and get much more in stress condition than in relaxed.

There is also heavy belief, that the fish get it from UV. Some fish like Golden Kalambo actually lost color when not in direct sunlight, then again that myth may have reached some level of "busted" because there is a tank of them in Sweeden I believe that is raising the Golden Kalambo from what I have herd very few OB Kalambo's have been produced.

Lastly, it is believed to be caused during shipping. I find this not to be the case at all because other fish would have it. I have never seen a Yellow Moshi have it, and other fish than Trophs and some cyps.

I still have a good feeling that it is caused by diet, UV, and stress in general.

There is a article somewhere, where someone actually plucked a black scale on his Ikola and had it analzed for bacteria and fungus. He had no findings on it but..who knows I've slept since then...lol...

If I can find it I will post it.

Geoff
            380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
            300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
            180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
            150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.
              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Working...
              X