Advise for new petro/troph tank.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise for new petro/troph tank.

Setting up a new 210, and tentitively plan to stock with Petrochromis/Tropheus. Have been almost out of the hobby for some time, but have always kept something going (20g with 1 adult tropheus right now). The tanks not drilled. Current equipment on hand is 2x emperor 400s, 1 Rena fx5 and a couple of 300w heaters. Afraid I don't have enough filtration? Do I need a W/D w/HOB overflow? Putting another big canister in the mix would be easier for me, not to mention a lot less expense. What about the fishes? I've been researching and advice seems to bo go with famula or trews to start with but I don't have any market up here (Shreveport) to trade out stock with if i want to go to something else later. Impulse has got me wanting to go right to Moshi's, Macros and Reds. Some Nice WC seem to become available fairly often but i might just go with F1s. I'll probably go single varient on the tropheus. Advice or input.

Incedently, I have a Houston connection in my inlaws living in Katy and I get down there once or twice a year. That's why I thought I'd ask you folks/

Going with Trophs and Petros is a great choice . I promise you'll get addicted !! Your tank size is great and will be loved by your fish . As for your filtration......whether you have enough... will be depend upon how many fish you plan to keep in that tank . You typed "Rena FX5"...did you mean Fluval FX5 ? If so , then I would say that 2 Emp. 400 and a Fluval FX5 will good job on a medium stocked tank . If you plan to add a nice size colony of Petros and Trophs ..then I would definitely add another "big" canister to the tank . Either way , you will definitely want to add some powerheads to the tank for water movement and oxygenation . I can't stress enough how much the fish love a high flow tank . As for fish , "the sky's the limit" here in Houston . There are so many members here who have F1 fry so I'm pretty sure someone has some fry that you will want .

Comment

My bad-it's XP4 at 450gph. With the 2 Emps, i guess that gives me 1250 turnover per hour or 6x. Seems like i read on here somewhere that 10 X was recommended as min. I'll probably crowd it up pretty good eventually. You think it comes down to start with F1s or go straight to WC?? as far as how soon I'd need to add more filter for a lot of fish inches? Can "powerhead" be a couple of little fans (don't know the technical term for those) up in the corners? Maybe I could add a couple of Magnum 350s just for good measure. You think the returns for that many canisters would stir the water enough?

Comment

The Rena XP4 is a great filter.....I love the Rena line of canister filters . You're gonna read alot of forums where people swear that you need 10x overturn.......but I tend to disagree . Personally , I don't see the need of 10x overturn through your filters if you are performing weekly water changes . But this is just my opinion......I do what works for me . If you are new to Trophs / Petros....then I would start with F1's first . Simply because I feel that F1 fry will grow up together and usually quite a bit less aggressive . I personally have never owned a WC colony of fish , but from what I've read and seen through friends , they can sometimes require alot hard work and attention . WC fish are usually more susceptible to getting Bloat . As for poewerheads , I like the Hydor Koralia brand of powerheads . They are small and move a ton of water in a wide flow . I really wouldn't get the Magnum 350s' unless you are wanting to really polish the water . I would just save my money a buy either the Fluval FX5 or the Eheim 2260/2262 .

Comment

Thanks for the input. My instincts tell me the same about f1 vs wc. Won't need as much filtration as soon and can think about the wet/dry a little more. It's just that the youtubes of the wc fish are so overstimulating. Will order koralia powerheads. What gph for this 6 ft tank? F1 petro reds are down to $50 1.5-2 inch. If have to grow them out, might as well go all the way at start up. How many should I get? How many Trophs? Should I order from different places to get some genetic diversity? Is this tank big enough to try two varients of each? lufubus and duboisi? reds and trews? Hope to set up and get water cycled so I'm ready for fish by Thanksgiving. I've got a couple of little biowheel filters on the 20g. Running them on the tank for a week or so be enough cycling? Pool sand and holey limestone for decor is my plan. Any comment would be appreciated. Especially ideas about fish mix.

Comment

If you are wanting to keep petro and trophs, I'd keep 1 of each variant in a 6ft tank.
            300g - Petrochromis Texas "Red Fin" Longola, Petrochromis Red Bulu, Tropheus Red Rainbow Kansanga.

Comment

Originally posted by tbui1178 View Post
              If you are wanting to keep petro and trophs, I'd keep 1 of each variant in a 6ft tank.
              +1
              120g - Tropheus Moorii Kambwimba
              180g - Petrochromis Macrognathus Dine/Tropheus Moorii Namansi I

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

Comment

Step 1. Get a bigger tank
                www.txtropheustraders.com

Comment

Ouch! OK, I accept that I don't know as much about these fish as I may need to. I've read most of what's posted here over the last couple of months and it's obvious you guys have been around the block a few times.That's why I'm asking here. Space limits how much water I can set up - the space between the two windows is just 6 ft long or I'd have set up an eight foot. I'm planning a 55g respite (hospital) tank for the only other thing I can get going right now. I'd like to have more than a couple of varients in the big(?) tank. I"m more interested in petros than trophs. Can't do? Advice? Also, is txtropheustraders a dead link? The only thing I can pull up hasn't been updated since '08. Is that an up to date stock list? Though I may be an ignoramous about petros, I managed to work up to a breeding colony of Frontosa back in the 80's (you guys probably don't remember when filters had cranks) so know some basics about water quality with tanganikans. Just asking for a little help staying out of the brier patch.

Comment

Working...
                  X