Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sand blasting sand, any negative effects on trophs/petro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sand blasting sand, any negative effects on trophs/petro?

I was thinking about going with a more brown sand for my new 125g.....browner than the normal PFS. Was just wondering if the blasting sand can "F" the trophs or petros up in and way.

thanks!  
    I ate my fish that died.

Re: sand blasting sand, any negative effects on trophs/petro

Everything I've read is "no". The only downside I've read was that its VERY expensive compared to all other substrates.
    Experiencing an aquatic renaissance!

Comment

you sure?

blasting sand is like stupid cheap.
      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

You have to make sure it's not made of metals foreign to aquatic life and such.... and then there is the sharp stuff that could destroy eggs.

Also if it's too fine it will compact.... too large and it's probably gonna be sharp.
        CF, did a few group buys and I think the sugar sand(white) compacted and the black blasting was made of some sort of metal.
        It's meant to blast things clean like stripping paint of metal so I would take the time to look into each one.
        Honestly though.... I pay a lot for my setups and fish so I don't bother cutting corners and being cheap.... yeah you will save a bit here and there but if in the end it cause problems how much did you end up saving then?
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

it's not about the money....i like the look.

that black/white sand combo just looks flake to me. But you know it's a personal thing.

You know of some decent sand that looks like that brown I'm talking about?
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Yes... there is plenty.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

It's funny.... I have never had a hard time finding any kind of substrate that is not only functional but astethically pleasing.... oh and at good prices too.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson";p="
                I was thinking about going with a more brown sand for my new 125g.....browner than the normal PFS. Was just wondering if the blasting sand can "F" the trophs or petros up in and way.

thanks!  
                Quartz blasting sand won't hurt your fish, comes in several different sizes and IMO is an inexpensive, natural-looking substrate. Prosper down at Aqua Zoo has a bunch of it. As I understand it, the old Tex Blast site is screening the "O" size again...perfect for substrate IMO.

Mark
                What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

I still use the sugar sand from CF's group buy in the troph tanks and yes, it does compact, so if you don't want to have to run your fingers through it pretty often, I wouldn't do it.  I don't mind and I really like the look so I keep using it.  And the trophs really seem to like it.  They pick it up and swim around the tank spitting it out.
                  Our Fishhouse
                  Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Which of your tanks have the sugar sand?

Comment

nkdole

Comment

Nkonde and Moliro/Uwile
                        Our Fishhouse

Comment

And that's sand-blasting sand or pool filter sand?

Comment

Sand-blasting.  It's the one they call 'sugar sand'.
                            Our Fishhouse

Comment

myjohnson

the brown sand you are looking for like in my ulwile 150 can be found on the lumberyard on south shepard going into downtown

dont know the name though

sold in 50 lb bags i believe

Comment

Working...
                              X