mbu puffer - not doing well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: mbu puffer - not doing well

Mbu Puffer arent really that rare. Just pricey.

With Mbu puffer, best to make them your main fish, and then build around it with fish that are compatible but nothing that would threaten it. They take a couple yrs to even get to a comparably large size so youve got plenty of time down the road to get a larger tank. Mbu arent really that hard to keep. Only problem Ive eer seen to be a serious issue are the babies that come in 4" and under that sometimes refuse to begin feeding. Larger sizes from that usually have no issues. Ive got mine with a plethora of cichlids. Its not a mix Id encourage others but Ive got it to where it works out for me with the puffer still being ahead of everyone else. The giraffe cat is really the only fish that bothers the mbu because he takes his shrimp plus hes like a moving tank and just blows through the puffer when feeding comes around.

Might I also mention you got ripped on that Mbu at $300.00. Im assuming its the 5"-7" range? That EDIT Jason isnt the only person in town with Mbu. Theres two other stores that carry Mbu from time to time. Last time I was at FishRUs he had about 6 or so and ALL of them were super skinny. Poorly kept.

My 0.02.

Best of luck,
    Chris
    - When Life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make Life take the damn lemons back!

Comment

I havent been in there myself to check, but i was told hes also advertising the big puffer he has for sale. for $5000.

I think Scott has one of those giraffe cats, and it is huge. It looks big enough to eat a 5 inch puffer.

Comment

Chris,

One of the things I have learned on this board, is that you need to read up on the fish, and then when you go to a LFS ask them a question that you know the answer to. Something along the lines of "Is that fish compatible with this fish." If they say yes, and you know it isn't - just leave, or just buy supplies.

I bought 2 common plecos, not knowing what the heck I was doing, I was just desparate for a good algea eater. She said they would be great as a pair and they didn't get big very quickly at all. HA! After about 3-4 weeks they had doubled in size, terrorized my other fish, took over my loaches cave, ate up all the java moss I had, and seemed to fight with each other. I put them in a bag and took them back to the store and said Free Plecos! Come to find out the larger one was full of eggs (not fighting, something else entirely.) I was so glad to get them out of my tank! I learned the hard way - read up first!

Daisy

Comment

I'm pretty shocked that amidst all these responses, no one has commented on the fact that a perfectly healthy fish was flushed down the toilet!?!? If you got a puppy and it pooped on the floor would you take it out back and shoot it? I don't care how ticked off you were, there is no excuse for killing an animal in such a cruel fashion. Sometimes, when a fish is sick or hurt to a point where it is in pain and will not recover, I fully support HUMANE euthanisation.  I think you ought to seriously reconsider your dedication to this hobby.
          Bacteria: the only culture some people have

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa";p="
            yeah they wont sell the puffer to just anyone, only people with $300 and those that they can make even more on will not e questioned cause questions dont pay the bills.
            Not really sure what you are implying or trying to say. In reference to paying bills for a business like that should be repetitive business. Steering or guiding customers in the right direction via good and accurate advice – information, now this will pay bills. Just trying to make a big sale today and then have an unhappy customer tomorrow is not going to pay future bills. When somebody gets treated right they may tell one or two people…treat someone wrong (such as my case) they will tell everyone how crappy that place is (again, such as my case). I will never recommend that LFS to anyone and will go out of my way to tell you why you should not go there, in the end losing potential business. Advertising is expensive the best advertisement is word of mouth, that is how you pay bills.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Brownsnoutuk";p="
              I havent been in there myself to check, but i was told hes also advertising the big puffer he has for sale. for $5000.

I think Scott has one of those giraffe cats, and it is huge. It looks big enough to eat a 5 inch puffer.
              o I even need a cat for

This is true, he does have one listed for $5000.

Not dure who Scott is...Is the giraffe cat not a good cat to have? If not what should I trade ot out for? Do I even need a cat for 1 puffer and two fon.?

Comment

i completely understand advertisement by word of mouth i am in a profession that is based on that and i have even owned a business before and now how it works completely.

if he raped you for $3000+ one day and have you never return to buy a few dollars worth of crap i think there are some out there that would take that in a heart beat. it sucks but some see quantity over quality.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by a_Vertigo_Guy";p="
                  Mbu Puffer arent really that rare. Just pricey.

With Mbu puffer, best to make them your main fish, and then build around it with fish that are compatible but nothing that would threaten it. They take a couple yrs to even get to a comparably large size so youve got plenty of time down the road to get a larger tank. Mbu arent really that hard to keep. Only problem Ive eer seen to be a serious issue are the babies that come in 4" and under that sometimes refuse to begin feeding. Larger sizes from that usually have no issues. Ive got mine with a plethora of cichlids. Its not a mix Id encourage others but Ive got it to where it works out for me with the puffer still being ahead of everyone else. The giraffe cat is really the only fish that bothers the mbu because he takes his shrimp plus hes like a moving tank and just blows through the puffer when feeding comes around.

Might I also mention you got ripped on that Mbu at $300.00. Im assuming its the 5"-7" range? That EDIT Jason isnt the only person in town with Mbu. Theres two other stores that carry Mbu from time to time. Last time I was at FishRUs he had about 6 or so and ALL of them were super skinny. Poorly kept.

My 0.02.

Best of luck,
                  Chris
                  I am sure that they are not that rare, I was simply stating what the LFS told me. Furthermore, I am really not that naive. I realize for this guy to have 6-7 of them in stock they must not be that rare. maybe if he had to special order them from the lake in Africa...now that might be considered rare

My Mbu is 6" that I know, paying $300 for it well I am sure I got ripped, or did I. Can you really put a price on happiness :wink: ! that is what this Mbu does for my family...that is priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisBush";p="
                    Not dure who Scott is...
                    I believe he's referring to Scott from Lake Houston Aquarists and I've seen him mention a puffer before.
                    Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa";p="
                      i completely understand advertisement by word of mouth i am in a profession that is based on that and i have even owned a business before and now how it works completely.

if he EDIT you for $3000+ one day and have you never return to buy a few dollars worth of crap i think there are some out there that would take that in a heart beat. it sucks but some see quantity over quality.
                      Yeah, but how do you know that I wont come back and drop another $3000 later. In fact since I have bought hat stuff from them I have spent another $200. And not at his shop. Had he done me right I guarantee you that I would have gone there, That might of paid half of his light bill. And I dont think I spent $3000 it was more like $2000, I apologize for the misleading figure I posted earlier.

Comment

Well Scotts not important anyhow :P But he does have (or used to have) a giraffe cat that was 12+ inches long.
                        I dont know if theyre aggressive, but i think i remember Scott saying they grow to a foot in less than a year.(If Scott could jump in anytime soon that would save me embarassing myself with bad info!)

If you really like the puffer then you paid what you thought it was worth to you, so i dont think you should think you got ripped off.

Comment

the giraffe cat isnt aggressive imo just likes to be pushy at times i have two friends with giraffe cats with shelldwellers and frontosas with no problem.
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by daisymac";p="
                            Chris,

One of the things I have learned on this board, is that you need to read up on the fish, and then when you go to a LFS ask them a question that you know the answer to. Something along the lines of "Is that fish compatible with this fish." If they say yes, and you know it isn't - just leave, or just buy supplies.

I bought 2 common plecos, not knowing what the heck I was doing, I was just desparate for a good algea eater. She said they would be great as a pair and they didn't get big very quickly at all. HA! After about 3-4 weeks they had doubled in size, terrorized my other fish, took over my loaches cave, ate up all the java moss I had, and seemed to fight with each other. I put them in a bag and took them back to the store and said Free Plecos! Come to find out the larger one was full of eggs (not fighting, something else entirely.) I was so glad to get them out of my tank! I learned the hard way - read up first!

Daisy
                            I have learned this as well. I am not totally new to the hobby by all means I am a rookie just not completely new to owning an aquarium. I have had two different 55g cich tanks in the past. One was in San Antonio and the other when I was in Vero Beach, FL. Both times the LFS was very good in helping out with what fish went well with others. When I set up a tank I usually base the livestock off a certain breed. Generally the fish I like/see that day at the store and base the rest of the fish on that one. I get what I need, set up the tank, and I am done. Has not been that difficult in the past. I really just like to have a tank that is set up nice different colored cich and really that is it. I have had very good success in the past with taking care of the tanks and maintaining them no problems there. The problem here is I did this set up based on the puffer and was really mislead that is all.

Comment

so how long was this tank running before the fish were thrown in?
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Yup you're right. cant put a price on happiness. They have such personality, I am glad for you that you are happy to have him.

Oh btw, you want a knowledgable awesome cichlid store? Ultimate Fish on 2920 and Rhodes. Beats Fish R Us in every and any way. No one there will feed you bad info or sell you questionable/incompatible fish.
                                - When Life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make Life take the damn lemons back!

Comment

Working...
                                X