Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tank flow rate for Africans (Tangs, Trophs, Malawi)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank flow rate for Africans (Tangs, Trophs, Malawi)

I would like to know how to determine the best flow rate in an aquarium. I am looking down the road at keeping Trophs and want to know a definitive answer. I know that most of us overfilter on purpose but how do you determine the right amount of flow? I don't want to under do it, but I don't want fish slamming against the glass if they stop swimming either.
    120g - Tropheus Moorii Kambwimba
    180g - Petrochromis Macrognathus Dine/Tropheus Moorii Namansi I

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

there is two types of powerhead flow.

1) narrow
    2) wide

I like wide b/c when it's wide you can get more flow without slamming the fishes. There are a lot of benefits to wide flow.

Wide flow is important for any aquarist wanting to keep tropheus. The aquarist wants to create a life-like simulation of the surge area which tropheus live in. Flow brings nurtiant and oxygen to the invertebrates that are the source of protein from these fishes. Broad flow which more closely mimics the natural wave movements of lake Tang produces massive water movement in your aquarium that is even and well dispersed throughout the entire tank rather than concentrated in any one area. Also, a pump which creates an undertow will further benefit the filtration by delivery a current of water along the sand bed where detritus will typically settle. Providing high flow while minimizing the pressure of this flow is the ideal means of delivery within the home aquarium.
    Last edited by myjohnson; 10-17-2009, 10:00 PM.
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Ok I am with you so far but how would you decide on GPH? I know tank size is a factor, do you have to consider fish size as well? Any other factors to consider when looking at powerheads?
      120g - Tropheus Moorii Kambwimba
      180g - Petrochromis Macrognathus Dine/Tropheus Moorii Namansi I

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

Comment

I think massive flow is really not need. It's just the extra that you are providing to your fishes. In the end it's about personal preference.

Maybe my specs will help you decide.

Tank: 125g
        Filters over media: 1) wet/dry rated for 200g with mag 12 2) 2x 2260 with all eheim media.
        Flow not over media: 2x vortech mp40w

That a total of 1200 + 600 + 600 + 3000 + 3000 (respectively) = 8400gph which means 67.2 turn over rate.
        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

67.2 works for mj. 20-40 works for me. Anything more than 10 is good for trophs or petros.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Honestly, 10 X turn over rate over media is all you need.

everything else is just showing off.

I get into impulse buys and just buy stuff....

John will tell you! Some how I spent 100 bucks at John's last night!
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I spent more than that at John's.

Comment

yeah, but I do that everytime I go over there!
                Last edited by myjohnson; 10-17-2009, 11:22 PM.
                I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Working...
                X