Planted cichlid tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planted cichlid tank?

I have never had a planted tank before and am looking to redo my 150. I have yellow labs, blood parrots, a venustus and some red jewels and was wondering if putting live plants in there is such a good thing? Will they eat the plants? Are plants a pain? I am researching online a little bit, but nothing of significant help. Thanks

probably won't work too well. the blood parrots would probably uproot them and the labs would nibble on the leaves. I have seen some people pull it off though.
    ‎Haiku's are easy
    But sometimes they don't make sense
    Refrigerator

Comment

I am putting some of my cichlids in a planted tank. The plants weren't working too well anyway, so I am not concerned if the fish take them out.
      Keep us updated on what happens if you do this.....I will update in a few days on mine.
      The first 55 gallon tank is a little too crowded with the new fry (I have Mainganos everywhere now), so I decided to put some of the fish in the planted tank that has been up and running for a few months.
      I am wondering how 2 Pictus Cats will do with the Mbuna being in there also.
      Just a new experiment....lots of hiding and lots of rocks for the Mbuna.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I am still in planning mode as to how I am going to change my setup. I am still debating going with sand as I have been told by several people NOT to do it that it will mess up my Fluval Fx5. Lord knows I cant afford to replace that baby. I will post pics during my renovation...

Comment

I used sand with my FX5. just make sure youre intake isn't set too low. if your tank is anything less than 24" tall you will need to trim your intank down.
          ‎Haiku's are easy
          But sometimes they don't make sense
          Refrigerator

Comment

Ya I planned on shortening the intake just to be on the safe side, but I have heard that sand is bad about making the water cloudy when it gets moved around.

Comment

Originally posted by tmixon_77539 View Post
              I have never had a planted tank before and am looking to redo my 150. I have yellow labs, blood parrots, a venustus and some red jewels and was wondering if putting live plants in there is such a good thing? Will they eat the plants? Are plants a pain? I am researching online a little bit, but nothing of significant help. Thanks
              I am reporting back after a few days of my African Cichlids in a (lightly) planted tank.....along with other artificial plants.

With 3 Lab. "Mbamba Bay", 3 German Red Peacocks......some of the plants are uprooted.
              I added 2 Gold(?) Severums.....they seem to want to eat the plants.

Not too big a deal to me, since the plants after 3 months really never grew too well. I need a little help with that, I guess.

I just looked over to see one of the peacocks grazing.....oh, well.

Comment

Next post.....the Severum seem to eat the plants from the tips. My male Mbambas seem to uproot them.
                I think it is just a matter of time till all the plants have some sort of damage.

Comment

Working...
                X