Here goes my NEWB tank guys...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here goes my NEWB tank guys...

just took this off my diy post....lots of pictures....but I enjoy seeing people tanks in the making and such, instead of just seeing the final product..so here goes mine

Howdy all, well in the past year and half i've gone from a 6 gallon tank. to a 55, 135+35 gallon tanks and now jumping up to a 240 gallon....any who, let me just jump straight into the pics....

stocked up on 2x6's

This is my beast drill....has as much power as a Toyota Prius!!! ha ha

Frame going up

preping the main panel....The idea of the stand was to make it simple and modern.

canopy

Got most of the skin on....
    Stand and canopy about 90% done. Have to fill in some holes...add molding to the Canopy.... and add a couple more coats of paint...the tank and canopy are raised some to make painting a little easier. So the stand and canopy will cover the plastic frame of the aquarium. The front of the stand is one panel and to access inside the stand just pick up using the handles and pull. nice and easy

and i will be lighting the tank with 6 35 wat HID's/ballast
    5000K,6000k, and 1000K for now.

I'll have some more updates later, what ya think?******************************************** *

*************************Updated PIX a couple months after i got the tank********************
    I'm outa town now so all the final touch ups have to wait another week...but here are the "in progress pix" ....oh my....this was time consuming...i installed the tank all by myself....didnt not have any help...and i'm 5'5 150lbs...lol....being a roughneck offshore helped i guess....well here are the pix, thought its kinda neat to see

getting the old 130 gallon drained

2 containers used...one filled with water and fish and the other to hold the used sand

round up time....man...these fish have a little weight to them....

old stand

carrying the new stand into place

just a rough draft...spaced from the wall so i could run all the hoses and what not...DONT WORRY...POSTER ON THE WALL WILL BE GONE!!!

100lbs of used sand and 100lbs of new sand into the tank

setting up the rocks...probably like 150lbs of rock in there...so easy to set rocks up without water or fish...ha ha

filled up the tank with all the old water in the container ...turned on the pumps which were not cleaned just switched over to the new hoses....pictures resemble nothing of what i went through....It was a pain in the butt but I enjoyed the whole thing....My girlfriend loves it....Have to females holding already after just 3 days of having the tank going. No leaks and pumps run quiet...Water is super clear now...I cant wait to set up the lighting!!!!

Last edited by tunedis95; 05-06-2011, 09:57 PM.
    240 and 35 Cichlid tanks

good job man. bet it feels good building everything yourself.
    Damn this hobby......

Comment

Nice tank.

Comment

those hids look like they're doing good. hows that canister you built working out?
        25g - Reef
        3.5g - Surge Tank
        10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Nice build and job of documenting it
          120g - Tropheus Moorii Kambwimba
          180g - Petrochromis Macrognathus Dine/Tropheus Moorii Namansi I

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

Comment

Thanks you guys...

Thats my old lighting, but new lights will be set up in two weeks. I have one 8K bulb and ballast in my 35 gallon tank, and love the light...just wish i had a 5000k temp in there instead...

and yea...Filter is working great....i think i might just do away with my fluval and rena and just have me to home made filters running...Flow out of my homemade filter is 2 or 3 times more that my fluval 400

I take pictures all the time..heck my phone is loaded with over 1200 pix and vids....so making a lil documentary on my aquarium was a must...
            240 and 35 Cichlid tanks

Comment

canister sounds good, what pump are you using? interedted to see how those lights turn out the K rating sound real low to me.
              25g - Reef
              3.5g - Surge Tank
              10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Very Very nice dude!
                Forget the dog.
                Beware of fish!
                :ertrink:

Comment

I just got started in the hobby and my wife already says I have gone fish crazy...is this what I have to look forward to in the future...if it is I don't mind at all...bad add setup!!!
                  *)Sharif*)

Comment

Wow, pimp set up!

Wish I could keep a big tank like that. :(
                    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
                      Wish I could keep a big tank like that. :(

Comment

MJ so modest
                        Custom Aquarium Cabinets Justin Henry 281-739-8723

Comment

Nice work! What all are you keeping in there?
                          180 - reef
                          30 - reef

Comment

Here goes some of my lighting....2 55 Watt 6000k HID kits running off one power supply....and my origional 48inch flourescent ....working great

Still not automatic quiet yet. Have to install springs. But using 4 120lbs steel wires, 2 pulleys, and a 1/2 HP screw drive craftsman garage opener. And pure imagination. I only paid 20 buck for the garage opener. So I didn't break the bank.
                            Canopy air born

Canopy landed
                            Last edited by tunedis95; 05-21-2011, 10:09 AM.
                            240 and 35 Cichlid tanks

Comment

Looks great! I can see Mr. Nyererei in that top pic, he still doing good in there? Looks like an ideal setup for him!

Comment

Working...
                              X