No announcement yet.

Frontosas with arowana ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I totally agree with not mixing other variants with Frontosa's, but I am guilty of doing the same. I have had my Burundi Front's now for 2 years, along with two Parrot fish. I cannot bring myself to give them away because I have become attached to them. The Parrots are such pigs and I have a hard time getting food past them. I am also afraid they maybe effecting the breeding process, but who knows.

Comment

I really like the mix front and aro a lot of people have done it, and is proof that can be done , i doubt that the aro will kill a big frontosa , in one year my fronts are gonna be ready for a juvenile aro
      125 gal-P. Kachase,simochromis, vampire pleco,bn pleco,bulldog pleco

55 gal- Ilangis ,clown pleco,abn pleco,rubber lip pleco

55 gal-Canary cheek,Ikola,duboisi, and fry

10 gal -fry tank,snails

Comment

Originally posted by Geral View Post
        I really like the mix front and aro a lot of people have done it, and is proof that can be done , i doubt that the aro will kill a big frontosa , in one year my fronts are gonna be ready for a juvenile aro
        I agree 100 % it's your tank and you should do what you like with it. I have found that if you keep up with weekly water changes your Fronts will grow faster than you think. Good luck and look foreward to seeing your Fronts with your Aro.

Comment

Originally posted by MacAtk View Post
          I agree 100 % it's your tank and you should do what you like with it. I have found that if you keep up with weekly water changes your Fronts will grow faster than you think. Good luck and look foreward to seeing your Fronts with your Aro.
          +1 on the water changes! Our teeny braveheart is growing like a monster with water changes and NLS
          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
          Desiderius Erasmus
          GHAC President

Comment

Its been a while, but I've done it before. Make certain your fronts are large, as previously mentioned.
            Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
            Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
            Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
            Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Thanks tim and everybody for ur opinion

I am gonna do it let see how it goes when the fronts
              Grow

10 gal -fry tank,snails

Comment

Which arrow are u talking bout Bc jardinis are rough and silvers get huge

Comment

Originally posted by Ballinxalex View Post
                  Which arrow are u talking bout Bc jardinis are rough and silvers get huge
                  Jardini's and Silvers get huge.. 3'+ for Jars and 3'+ for Silvers as well.. Hell all Aro's get huge.

Comment

Dont know yet but aro all of them get big

10 gal -fry tank,snails

Comment

Dont know yet but aro all of them get big
                      Well, you're limited to about 5 Aro's.. Silver, Jardini, African, Lei and Black Arowana. If you don't like the idea of mixing fish from different regions, an African Aro is a cool fish to get.
                      Last edited by DTony; 04-24-2012, 09:58 PM.

Comment

I have been keeping a wc colony of mobas since Jan 2005 and fronts since '88. I know alot about fronts and am still learning. I have kept many fish with fronts........the most challenging have been tropheus, discus and aros due to food and water parameters (pH, temp). I like to push the envelope. My most recent experiment was adding some really nice cyps to my moba tank that I got from Tim. The mobas picked them off one by one over 4-5 nights. I wanted the cyps to spawn giving my mobas some live fry feeders. Others have tried it with success even though cyps are what fronts eat in the wild.

I've kept silvers and jardenis with fronts with lots of success. The aros swam in the upper portion of the water column and the fronts stayed along the bottom. I fed floating sticks (meat-based) and this was the only time they really had to compete.

I would wait til your fronts were about 5" long before introducing a 6" aro. I don't think the fronts would eat a smaller aro. The aro is going to grown quickly. Within 3 years I had an almost 24" silver in my 180g tank. You need to give aros at least a 2' turning space. And you need to place some sand bags or weights on top of your glass tops since aros are jumpers. Willy, my 24" silver jumped out of my tank during a water change. LOL now, but when it happened it freaked me out.

I've raised 8-10 silvers with fronts on separate occasions and have only kept 1 australian jardeni. My fronts were about 6"-7" and the jardeni was about 14". The jardeni grew to 22" and was thick with beautiful pink and silver coloring. What I like about jardenis is how much they look like asian aros. My jardeni was super aggressive and at times would try to attack my fronts. He would dip down from above and try to nip at them.

With my wc mobas I've kept freshwater flounders, leopard eels and nics with better results. It's really about what you like in your tank and understanding that you may not be providing the best environment for either your fronts or the aro.

All in all, I like to try things that most people say shouldn't be done or are impossible to do. Some of front-keeping no-no's are running airstones, bright lighting, having significant water current...........I provide all these conditions in my tank with good results.

Now that I've kept a large number of different fish with my fronts, I lean more towards keeping fronts only. The only other fish in my wc moba tank are some very nice bristlenose plecos I got from TangoMike. They do a good job cleaning the 250 lbs of texas holey rock (another no-no......keeping fronts with jagged rocks/caves).

Hope this information helps you and others here.
                        180g Oceanic w/colony of 8 WC Moba Fronts (1m/7f) purchased from TNT Cichlids in Jan '05 & numerous fry. 1 F1 adult moba male. 2 2217 Eheims, 2 6080 Tunze Streams, WISA airpump, single stage Johnson ETC.....fishkeeping since 1988.

Comment

That should settle the Fronts and Arowana Question.
                          300 W/C Burundi
                          210 W/C Moba/ Cyrtocara Moorii
                          210 F1 Moba
                          180 W/C Mpimbwe
                          180 F1 Burundi

Comment

Thanks Ron if i take the word about frontosas is from u

Thanks for sharing the info , now u have thinking again about if my 125 will be Enough

I will like to know ur anwser Ron. Thanks

10 gal -fry tank,snails

Comment

Thanks Ron if i take the word about frontosas is from u

Thanks for sharing the info , now u have thinking again about if my 125 will be Enough

I will like to know ur anwser Ron. Thanks
                              125g is good for now. I think a 180 would be better since it is 6'x2'x2' giving you more bottom area than a 125g. With fronts the more bottom area is what you want. They also refer to this as the tank's footprint.

Some folks just go the extra 20g and get a 200g which is 7'x2'x2'. Even though it's only 20g more, the 200g is plenty heavy.

Hope this helps you.
                              180g Oceanic w/colony of 8 WC Moba Fronts (1m/7f) purchased from TNT Cichlids in Jan '05 & numerous fry. 1 F1 adult moba male. 2 2217 Eheims, 2 6080 Tunze Streams, WISA airpump, single stage Johnson ETC.....fishkeeping since 1988.

Comment

Thanks Ron i decided not to go with it just stick
                                To some tangs added today, i rather give the front
                                More peacefull tank that with the arowana ans since the 125 g is just brand new wanna keep it for a long time and dont have the space to upgrade too

Thanks for all

10 gal -fry tank,snails

Comment

Working...
                                X