Info about filtration and tips for new 135gallon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info about filtration and tips for new 135gallon

hello im currently running 2 xp3s in my 135 cichlid tank ,but i wanted to add an overflow wet dry filter, will it be too much, also how much water should i change weekly any info will help

u can never can have enough filtration, I would say wet and dry are one of the best filtration specially for overstock tanks that would be great for ur tank . Water changes it depend of a lot of things like how many fish u are going to put in there, what substrate , what kind of cichlids ?
    125 gal-P. Kachase,simochromis, vampire pleco,bn pleco,bulldog pleco

55 gal- Ilangis ,clown pleco,abn pleco,rubber lip pleco

55 gal-Canary cheek,Ikola,duboisi, and fry

10 gal -fry tank,snails

Comment

thanks

Comment

+1 on geral's thougt... i always go least 10x more so that my water quality is alway good and clear... =D
        20L nano saltwater tank- (In Progress)

55G tropheus tank- 22 T. ikola,23 T. red chimba, 4 brevis, 3 b.pleco, 1 dwarf giraffe cat
        NO SUCH THING AS OVER FILTRATION... =DD

Comment

Wet dry and canister combination is what I'm aiming for. My personal preference would be to run a wet dry alone as opposed to a canister. I have an XP3 on a 40 breeder and I feel it's not enough FLOW, but the filtration is good enough.
          210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
          125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

Originally posted by Geral View Post
            u can never can have enough filtration, I would say wet and dry are one of the best filtration specially for overstock tanks that would be great for ur tank . Water changes it depend of a lot of things like how many fish u are going to put in there, what substrate , what kind of cichlids ?
            +2 on the over filtration. Wet/dry and canister combo is what I'm aiming for. Two 2262 and a huge wet/dry. If you're running only one thing, I would take the wet/dry over the canister, unless it's a big canister.

Comment

If there is room for another filter in you stand, you don't have enough filtration lol. My 125 has 2 fx5s and shmassive wet/dry...
              20g mixed reef

Comment

you just gotta know this... invest in something that does a least 10x its flip rate in GPH and your water will always be clear... so that means you should at least be running sum of 1350 gph or higher...
                20L nano saltwater tank- (In Progress)

55G tropheus tank- 22 T. ikola,23 T. red chimba, 4 brevis, 3 b.pleco, 1 dwarf giraffe cat
                NO SUCH THING AS OVER FILTRATION... =DD

Comment

20x turnover rate is minimum for me when it comes to filtration.
                  Water changes I like what 100% has been doing for my fish but you have to be aware of your water supply and how you treat the water.

My holding 200g tub right now is running 3xFX5, 200g rated wet/dry with 950gph return and a air pump rated for a 5000g pond.
                  stocking is really high so I do 100% water change every other day or at least every third day.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

That means I need a big wet dry , any recommendations , I can drill my tank for overflow

Comment

really depends on you but I would look for something rated for 1.5x your tank size, this way in the event of a power out there will be plenty of room for added volume in the wet/dry area.

Another option is to make your own with a large tank to fit the stand since you plan on drilling your tank, this would be somewhat cheaper seeing as though you could make it exactly to your liking and needs.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I have a lot of slow swimmers in my tank. If I used 1500 gph the fish would be stuck to the intake. I run half that. At 750 gph I change 50% ones a week but Vac. the bottom every day. About 15g. I don't have a big bio load but if I did I would need to do water changes more often. Filtration and flow are very importent. Even for the slow swimmers...
                        Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

I run a eshopps wd300 with a mag 24 and an fx5 on my 200g. I will be adding another canister filter at least.
                          when I had my 135 there were 2 fx5 running.
                          IMHO please use atleast 2 cansisters or a canister and a wet dry at minimum for 5' tanks or higher.
                          but that is just me
                          your babies will love it and if there happy your happy.
                          I do 30 to 50% water changes once a week at minimum.
                          good luck and keep us updated

frankie
                          http://s1131.photobucket.com/profile/Darth_Coqui

Comment

Working...
                          X