What are you feeding your petros?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you feeding your petros?

I know alot of you are feeding NLS. I'm feeding mine Hikari Cichlid EXcel Gold. I pre-soak for 5 min and feed.
    I was wondering if any of you are feeding any high protein foods such as brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, or cyclopeeze.
    I have never attempted it with tropheus, but I was wondering if petros should have a more varied diet.
    Emerald Green Rainbowfish
    Yellow Rabbit Snails

Mine all love plain Cichlid Excel. I tried soaking at first but quit cause the piggy ones devoured so fast wasn't sure all were getting enough. Also, HBH soft spirilena and ken's or hbh sp. flake. I have chopped up gulf shrimp when fattening up wild caught fish that came in poor condition. They all gobble that up but I don't feed it regular.

Comment

Originally posted by thedude View Post
      Mine all love plain Cichlid Excel. I tried soaking at first but quit cause the piggy ones devoured so fast wasn't sure all were getting enough. Also, HBH soft spirilena and ken's or hbh sp. flake. I have chopped up gulf shrimp when fattening up wild caught fish that came in poor condition. They all gobble that up but I don't feed it regular.
      no bloat issues with the shrimp?
      Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Miguel is experimenting with New Era. He says its great for his trophs. Should be good for petros too. I'm going to get some Nov 7th.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Originally posted by black_knight View Post
          no bloat issues with the shrimp?
          Just did it once a day for a couple of weeks. Never have had bloat issues with petros and I don't think the trophs in the tank ever got any.
          the petroes all but jumped out of the tank to get at it.

Comment

No brine shrimp, but mine get frozen krill or mysis 2-3x a week. I feed my fry alot of frozen cyclops as well.

For pellets they get nls, dainichi cichlid and koi formulas and sinking excel.

Comment

ive seen sunny feed his petro tank frozen scallop. from what people tell me.... as long as you have A LOT of flow and keep the fish moving and exercising bloat from food shouldnt be a problem.
              Last edited by cu0ngsayz; 09-11-2012, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Tried some cyclopeeze yesterday. Some ate it some just spit it out. They did eat some PE mysis 2 days ago.
                Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

I would be careful feeding shrimp on a regular basis. If you feed shrimp, I wouldn't feed the fish anything else for the entire day.
                  210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
                  125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

Why is that J?
                    http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Because of the high protein content and shrimp isn't easily digestible. Not even for us.
                      125g Mdoka White Lip

Comment

Do you know for a fact that Petros specifically have a problem digesting shrimp/scallops? Or are you generalizing from Trophs?

BTW, I just started feeding my Petros frozen Krill and they go nuts for that stuff.

Comment

I know that shrimp fatten the petros up good and get them in breeding condition, but shrimp are high in protein and petros are grazing fish in the wild, eating on algae. To have shrimp as the normal diet doesn't seem possible to me, but I could be wrong. Maybe I'm too cautious?
                          125g Mdoka White Lip

Comment

Yes

Comment

The way I feed mine, all of them should be dead by now going on what your cautious self says.

Comment

Working...
                              X