Mixing Malawi and Victorians?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing Malawi and Victorians?

I have always kept Lake Malawi species, and my 75gal has those variants now. I had a few fish die recently (my large red zebra yesterday). All params are fine, had just done a WC night before, everyone else is fine.

I always loved the look of pundamilia nyererei, but was unsure if they would mix due to temperament and diet. also was unsure if i looked for a male and few females if they would crossbreed with current tankmates.

I wont be adding any fish until June at this point, but was thinking of ideas for what i want to add down the road.

Thanks.

In my tank I have a mix of tang, malawi (peacocks, haps, mbuna), and vics which includes a male pundamilia nyererei. They all seem to do fine.

Comment

I'm sure you can make it work provided enough tank space and variety of diet to accommodate everybody. It comes down to personal taste and preference really. I have a 100G tank with some odd balls from lake Tang and Malawi, and they do fine together. (Just temporary though until I can figure out what to do with them )

By the way, Nyererei is a beautiful fish. I don't believe it will cross breed with Malawi cichlids.
      010G Long fin BN grow-out
      020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
      020G Leulepi grow-out
      020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
      030G Leulepi breeder
      030G SRD FlowerHorn
      040G Hongi Sweden breeder
      090G Tangs community
      100G Tangs community
      150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

cool just was seeing who had experience with all of them. my african mainly eat pellets, then get rosy reds as a treat. sometimes throw in some plankton or beefheat too.

i didnt think there would be issues, but i would like to get a breeding colony going. if the species was more timid and getting harassed a lot, then it would not work.

Comment

What Malawi species are you keeping? Is it predominantly Mbuna or peacocks/haps? I don't think it's a good idea if you plan to breed the Pundamilia. If you have an all male tank, you would have a better chance of this working by adding a single Punda male. My main concern is tank size, it will be difficult to give them all the territory they need in a 75, in my opinion. Unless you're really set on it, I wouldn't do it man, just because I don't think the fish will thrive in that environment. Anywho, give it a shot. I've seen crazier things work, and I've personally mixed the two, just didn't have the best results

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

Mine is all male wouldn't recommend for breeding

Comment

yeah i may just wait them on pundamilia until i can dedicate a tank just to them, or just get a male

tank is mainly mbuna, just one peacock. just looking more bare since the two largest fish are gone. Here is whats left:

2 pure yellow labs (M ~4-5 in / F ~3-4 inch)
              1 hybrid yellow lab male (dominant ~5 inch)
              2 bumblebee cichlids (M ~5 inch / F ~4-5 inch)
              1 blue lab (~4-5 inch)
              1 strawberry peacock (~5 inch)
              2 plecos (~6 inch each)

Following I am unsure of classification, sold as assorted mbuna, but its my guess
              1 elongatus variant (~3 inch)
              1 OB blueberry (~4-5 inch)
              1 OB red zebra (~3 inch)

Comment

I think you will be happier with the choice if you can dedicate a tank to them. You can maybe make it work since the tank is predominantly Mbuna, they should be able to hold their own. Could get ugly though!

Comment

yeah not looking for any battle royals breaking out. i know any new fish will cause some type of short term ripple, but may just go for 3 new mid-size mbuna of different colors than i have

Comment

That's probably a good call

Comment

If you want breeding, it's best to do a specie tank only IME.
                      010G Long fin BN grow-out
                      020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
                      020G Leulepi grow-out
                      020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
                      030G Leulepi breeder
                      030G SRD FlowerHorn
                      040G Hongi Sweden breeder
                      090G Tangs community
                      100G Tangs community
                      150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Working...