Corys uprooting plants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corys uprooting plants

I have plants that keep getting uprooted and I suspect that the culprits are my corys. I have 7 emerald greens and the main plant being uprooted is bronze crypts. Is this normal and is there a way to keep the plants rooted?
    29 Gallon SA Tank -- 5 Bleeding Heart Tetras, Mated Pair of Angels, 7 Green Corys, and a Rubberlip Pleco

30 Gallon Breeder -- 20+ neon tetras, 3 albino cories, 2 albino bristlenose plecos, female betta, 1 angel

5 Gallon Shrimp Nano - Sakura Red Shrimp, Boraras Brigittae, Oto Cats, Olive Nerites, and Pink Ramshorn

What substrate and what depth?
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Corys uprooting plants

Black sand and depth of sub ranges from 1.5 - 3 inches. I have two hills in opposite corners with a channel going through the center.
      29 Gallon SA Tank -- 5 Bleeding Heart Tetras, Mated Pair of Angels, 7 Green Corys, and a Rubberlip Pleco

30 Gallon Breeder -- 20+ neon tetras, 3 albino cories, 2 albino bristlenose plecos, female betta, 1 angel

5 Gallon Shrimp Nano - Sakura Red Shrimp, Boraras Brigittae, Oto Cats, Olive Nerites, and Pink Ramshorn

Comment

think you've found part of your answer right there.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Corys uprooting plants

Which part?

Comment

I would guess substrate needs to be deeper
            Guppies:
            Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
            Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
            HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

where are the plants planted? in the 3' or 1.5'?
              Guppies:
              Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
              Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
              HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

crypts can handle a shallower substrate depth, i imagine they just arent established yet. in light sand the corys could be moving them around but i have never had that problem since i use a heavier ecocomplete or flourite in most aquaria. i will use plant weights on a plant if i have that problem and until it has a chance to root out.
                75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
                28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
                12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
                29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
                45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
                33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

+1 it sounds like substrate depth (most planted tanks use 2+ inches or deeper), but short of adding more substrate plant weights are your only real option. You could try incorporating the hardscape into dual purposing as a guard around their roots. Our Fahaka is notorious for uprooting our crypts and we use the rocks to block her access. If she can't get to the roots she can't pull them up.
                  In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                  Desiderius Erasmus
                  GHAC President

Comment

Corys uprooting plants

The crypts are in the 3+ inch deep part

Comment

Corys uprooting plants

This is what is happening...
                      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345746271.111212.jpg
                      Not fully uprooted but roots showing.

Comment

put some rocks around the base of the plants, it will protect them until they get better established.
                        my fish house:
                        2.5g- ramshorn hatchery
                        6g eclipse- yellow shrimp, chili rasboras, yellow apple snails
                        29g- geo grow-out, angels, 12"fire eel, dwarf frog, apple snails
                        45g- jade sleeper gobies, native killifish, feeder endlers

75g-
                        2 oscars, parrot, silver dollars, albino channel cat, syno euptera, bichir, baby jaguar, convicts, yabby
                        125g- fahaka puffer, rainbow shark
                        and about a dozen bettas....

Comment

Working...
                        X