Cory cat - pregnant? Fat? Bloat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cory cat - pregnant? Fat? Bloat?

I apologize in advance for not having a photo yet; these guys are just so fast!

So, I noticed my bronze cory's belly is a little bigger than usual. The difference is minimal; it's just a bump between its front fins. I immediately thought OH GOD BLOAT. DEATH. DISEASE. But then I wondered if it's possible that it's a she and has eggs.

I observed it closely - it's definitely the biggest of the three corys, both in length and thickness which I've heard is characteristic of a female cory. Its scales are flat so I'm not guessing dropsy. I don't overfeed so I don't think it could be anything related to that. Is that the normal place to see a bulge if the cory has eggs?

Tank parameters are good - 0 ammonia, nitrites, nitrates. Well planted, substrate is a smooth, larger sand (not fine like regular sugar, more like the size of raw sugar you can get at coffee shops and the like). I feed them Omega One slow sinking omnivore pellets. They share the tank with a single, docile male molly, two cobalt gobies, and an unknown number of ghost shrimp that eat so insanely fast that I don't worry much about the cats eating too much because the shrimp absolutely decimate the food before anyone else!

So, catfish knowledgeable people. Does this sound like a possible cory cat in heat? I'll do my best to get a photo but I don't know how successful I will be.

If anyone has a good, confirmed reference photo of an eggy cory, I could confirm if the placement of the egg bump on that cory was the same as mine.

Edit to add: This picture shows a cory whose belly looks similar to my cory's. The bump is in the same place on my cory, near the front of the body. I've never kept cories before so I have no idea about things like this with them, apologizes if it's one of those things that seems crazy obvious to you, like if it's just chubby.
    Last edited by corykitty; 03-31-2014, 10:55 PM.

It appears to be normal, as long as there are no signs of discomfort or bizarre behavior I would assume it was a swollen female or just a well fed corydoras. Bronze cories are one of the easier species and far more happy in our harder higher Ph water. There are quite a few folks on the box here that have bred them in Houston tap water, so I certainly think its possible and likely given time and probably a bit larger a tank in the future. I say keep doing what your doing and eventually you'll see a small collection on eggs that will confirm your suspicions.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

Female indeed !!! Mine are even fatter hahaha. Btw : they don't have scales. When / if dropsy/bloated their eyes will start bulging aso.

Comment

It's spring and all my corys are going wild spawning and the females all look fat and sassy. So I think that's what's going on with your fish as well.
        Guppies:
        Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
        Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
        HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

Thanks tons, folks! She's (guessing it's a she) definitely the ruler of the little cory clan of my tank, so I guess maybe she's the matriarch supreme. I'm going to be moving them all to a much larger tank hopefully soon and maybe I'll have baby cories when that happens.

Comment

Working...
          X