what do ya'll think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do ya'll think

what do ya'll think about this filter. will it work well in a 125g? i got it for $10 with all the media. the bio balls and the white things look like they havent even been used. what is this setup worth? the guy said his son bought it and never used it. the pump is an Aquila P1800. the water goes thru the pads, then the white things, and lastly the bio balls. then the powerhead sucks it up from the bottom thru 2 chambers that run to the last section.(where the bio balls are) here are some pics.
    Last edited by Rico; 05-24-2009, 06:28 PM.
    fishless

The white things are ceramic rings (~ bio balls). They add biological filtration. You could use it to supplement your filtration in the 125... but you'll need a great deal more filtration IMHO. It all depends on your fish selection, stocking levels, etc...
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

so its not strong enough for a 125... what about in a 55g, will it work by its self?
      fishless

Comment

in a 55 it might work by itself but how many gallons per hour is the pump?
        25g - Reef
        3.5g - Surge Tank
        10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

1300 lph
          fishless

Comment

Thats about 340 gph. Wont work on the 125 solo.

May be ok on the 55, if it works well and is effiecent. You may want to do the 5 gallon bucket test (turn it on and find out how many seconds it takes to fill a 5 g bucket.) Then you can convert to gallons per hour and see how accurrate the rating is.

But for you to gauge where you want to put the filter,with just the rating, the equivalent would be like a whisper 30-60 HOB filter. Difference is you will get more surface area for the bacteria on the canister.

Comment

That pump is a rebranded Jebo AP1800: Its maximum flow rate is 1300 L/h or 343 G/h. It looks like this filter will do surface skimming as well, which can be desired. If you used the right pump these types of filters would be one of the most energy efficient configurations. This should also be a little quieter than an external filter.

I vote in the supplemental filter camp.

Comment

i got 4 of them from fish are fun. he still has 2 more left. anyways so how about 2 of these and a 350 bio wheel?
                fishless

Comment

how tall and wide is that filter?

Comment

Its a corner filter. 6" from the corner to the front and 16" tall

just found it online
                    Last edited by Rico; 03-02-2009, 03:22 PM.
                    fishless

Comment

Working...
                    X