How much filteration should I run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah for cheap hardy fishes it is.....

I mean, you are fine with what you got none. You don't even need the wet/dry and they will be fine.

I just thought you wanted to up the game for real.

I'm also a little bias because I always go over board with filters.
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

They aren't no Tropheus but assure you they aren't cheap.

The other day I spent $90 on 1 arowana, 2 festae juvies, 2 archer fishes...lol...

This hobby ain't no joke, its more expensive than my other hobby, guns...and ammo is not cheap.

What caused me to set my mind on a wet/dry is it's pretty much like adding 30g more water to my tank, way better biological filtration, much more possibilities as far as aeration, ways to reduce nitrate, and how much easier it is to clean than a FX5.

btw, can you do a mud, plants, etc in your sump to reduce nitrate for freshwater setup?
      Last edited by aggrofishkeeper; 08-06-2009, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aggrofishkeeper View Post
        guns...and ammo is not cheap.

Tell me about it bro! I need to re-stock on ammo bad but trying to wait out and see if prices go down.

What caused me to set my mind on a wet/dry is it's pretty much like adding 30g more water to my tank, way better biological filtration, much more possibilities as far as aeration, ways to reduce nitrate, and how much easier it is to clean than a FX5.

btw, can you do a mud, plants, etc in your sump to reduce nitrate for freshwater setup?
        Don't know about the mud, but there is a number of plants that you can grow in your sump to help with water conditions.

Some do like the salt water people and use mangroves but others like to use just any fast growing plant that will not get sucked into the pump.

Personally, I don't think they plants do much. Nothing beats a water change.
        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I have a 50 gallon diy sump on on my 150 oscar tank. No wet/dry, but refugium style like the salt water guys are using more off. The water drops into the sump, through a bunch of filter pads, into the refugium that holds about 30 gallons where java moss sucks the nitrates dry, then back up to the main tank.
          Quick drawing of diy sump out of 50 gallon tank.
          Blue line is water level
          Grey is basic flow off water from left to right.
          1 camber collects water from overflow from tank.
          Second holds filter media like sponges or floss water is forced down though this media
          into a 3rd chamber then over bulkhead into a large 4th chamber, the refugium.
          In this camber you can put current tolerant plants to eat up the nitrates. Also a gravel bed to keep beneficial bacteria. I even use this section as a grow out tank.
          The last chamber holds your return pump back to the main tank.

Hope this helps.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Oscarcrazy; 08-06-2009, 08:44 AM.

Comment

it will be alot easier if you just drill the tank. i just took my 125 down and drilled it the other day. painted the background and now im building the wet/dry out of a 30g long. i plan on keeping 2 emp400's on it and just the wet/dry. i would rather over do the filtertration.

with oscars i would do a water change once a week. they are very bad with HITH.
            fishless

Comment

Originally posted by Rico View Post
              it will be alot easier if you just drill the tank. i just took my 125 down and drilled it the other day. painted the background and now im building the wet/dry out of a 30g long. i plan on keeping 2 emp400's on it and just the wet/dry. i would rather over do the filtertration.

with oscars i would do a water change once a week. they are very bad with HITH.
              drilling holes in my tank would be a huge hassle because it's already setup and running with substrate and all, not to mention I have no where to put my stock while I do the process. I'm just going to do Zu's idea and use 2 large powerheads with the sponge filters.

Comment

Working...
              X