Cleaning up Silicone Corners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning up Silicone Corners

I've seen it mentioned on various fish forums that people will go and "clean up" the silicone in the corners of the aquariums. I am guessing that this is in reference to the extra that is smeared way beyond the joint.

So, what is the best way to do this, and how close can you get to the corner before possibly causing a weakening of the seams?

Thanks

I'm guessing the process involves a razor blade and just removing the excess "fingers' if you will of silicone from the sides or front....sometimes a razor blade is not even needed if you can break off the excess carefully...

Keep your clean up limited to the main application of silicone....most are anywhere from 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch thick depending on the size of the glass/tank. Just keep it uniform.

CF
    Last edited by CichlidFan; 10-07-2009, 03:37 PM.
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I would advise against it if it is in the sealing bead. If it is a "stray amount or strand" then sure go ahead, but if it is in the sealing bead, I'd just live with it.

You wouldnt want to remove what's keeping the water from getting into the people tank.
      380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
      300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
      180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
      150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Working...
      X