Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sump problem...

so i was setting up the sump today...
    and some stupid things happened...i mean..what a nightmare...
    so everything was running right...
    than i went out to buy something....
    and when i came back....water all over the floor...
    i got really stupid...everything was plug into one plug in the living room, which the living room light also, that outlet is connected to a switch on the living room wall, which i use it everyday to turn off and on the light...
    so when i leave the house just now, i turn off that switch because i wanted to turn off the light in the living room...i really forgot the overflow and the pump is plug in too....
    so i turned off everything and i did not know it...
    and when i came back...the water in the sump is all the way up, and part of the water is gone in the tank...
    i was wondering why...so i took off some water in the sump and filled back up the tank...i got it running for a few minutes, and i turn off everything to test why is it flooded...
    and i notice the water is coming back down to the sump...and the waterline is below the overflow already...
    so the only thing it could be is the return pipe...
    i mean water are filling the sump really really fast...
    i guess its the pressure that pushed all the water back into the return pipe and going down to the sump? does it normally do that?? maybe i had not done enough reading?? or maybe something wrong with the pump?
    man...what should i do?? install a check value on the return host?
    anyway...that really sucked and its my first time setting up a sump...:icon_hang:
    and now i gonna wait see if the wood floor is gonna bust...
    lucky i was only out for like 20 mins...

Sorry to here. Water on the floor suck. What return pump are you using and do you have any pic of the overflow?
    "The word superstar really turn me off and I tell you why because the word starrrrrrr, Man is an illusionnnnn" Bruce Lee

Comment

the pump is a mag 12...
      overflow is the cpr 102...
      what could be wrong?

Comment

To fix that problem just drill a small hole in your return pipe about 1/2" under where the water line is during normal operation. Then when you turn off the pumps and water starts to go back into the sump from the return pipe and the water gets low enough to that hole you drilled, it will suck in air and break the siphon into the sump.

Mine does the same thing, but the little hole I drilled fixed the issue. And just drill a small hole, about the diameter of a standard wood nail.
        15g column BB low-tech driftwood/planted - Dwarf Puffer Tank :lupe:

Comment

Are you using an aqua-lifter on the cpr?
          "The word superstar really turn me off and I tell you why because the word starrrrrrr, Man is an illusionnnnn" Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Matt in Houston View Post
            To fix that problem just drill a small hole in your return pipe about 1/2" under where the water line is during normal operation. Then when you turn off the pumps and water starts to go back into the sump from the return pipe and the water gets low enough to that hole you drilled, it will suck in air and break the siphon into the sump.

Mine does the same thing, but the little hole I drilled fixed the issue. And just drill a small hole, about the diameter of a standard wood nail.

+1 good advice for the return. Also how big is your sump? Make sure to get one large enough to compensate when power goes out.

Comment

Originally posted by tnguyen View Post
              +1 good advice for the return. Also how big is your sump? Make sure to get one large enough to compensate when power goes out.
              ya i am using aqua lifter...everything runs normal....
              the sump is pretty big...like 30 gallon or bigger..
              the problem is that it will flood it untill the water go below the return spray bar...
              the tank is 150 gallon...when i come back...around 1/6 of the water is gone from the tank...:icon_hang:

Comment

thank you for you help...
                just saved my day...
                and what overflow are you running?
                i am using cpr with the aqua lifter...which when power is out, the aqua lifter stops working too...i dont know if that matters tho?

Comment

How many return lines do you have?

When a pump cuts off on a wet/dry system the return line will go in reverse. The return will suck water into the sump instead of pushing water out of it.

You need to raise all return lines close to the surface of the water or drill a whole to break that siphon.

Water can not suck down below the overflow box or the lowest return line output.
                  I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I would get a bigger sump just for safety.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
                      How many return lines do you have?

When a pump cuts off on a wet/dry system the return line will go in reverse. The return will suck water into the sump instead of pushing water out of it.

You need to raise all return lines close to the surface of the water or drill a whole to break that siphon.

Water can not suck down below the overflow box or the lowest return line output.
                      just one return line....
                      its kinda hard to raise it up...
                      i guess i will drill a whole on it then...
                      thanks thai...

Comment

Originally posted by madugo View Post
                        thank you for you help...
                        just saved my day...
                        and what overflow are you running?
                        i am using cpr with the aqua lifter...which when power is out, the aqua lifter stops working too...i dont know if that matters tho?
                        I am running a CPR just like you. It doesnt matter if the aqua lifter isnt on if the pump isnt on either. But if the pump is on, make sure the aqua lifter is on...its just there to remove air that gets trapped in the overflow as well as to help keep the overflow box siphon. If you use the screen guard in the overflow box like I do, it tends to make more bubbles and more air gets trapped quicker.

Another tip, dont forget to clean out the hole on the top of the overflow box that the aqua lifter tubing connects to. At least once a week just pop the hose off and run a paper clip or tooth pick around in the hole to keep it clear of debris and blockage so air can pass through.

I havent had any issues with any of my CPR stuff...works great and very quiet if you set it up just right. Sometimes you have to play with the tubings to get it really quiet.

Comment

i mean...can i drill 2 holes instead of one to be more safe?

Comment

Only one is needed...try it you'll see. It will make a loud slurpy sound when it starts working.

Comment

Only one is needed...try it you'll see. It will make a loud slurpy sound when it starts working.
                              thanks a lot matt..
                              just made a hole and i tried it and it works perfect!!
                              i can sleep good tonight now...

Comment

Working...
                              X