vortex diatom filters "?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vortex diatom filters "?"

i just picked up 2 vortex XL diatom filters, but need help using them. anyone here have experience with these. basically just want to know how use them.
    fishless

Connect the bag to the bottom of the pump
    Screw the pump collar down firmly on the jar with the bag inside
    fill the filter jar with water by pouring it down the outlet tube untill it starts to come out the inlet tube
    place the inlet & outlet tubes into a gallon pickle jar or bucket full of water and turn on the pump.
    Once you have good circulation established add 2 or 3 cups of diatom powder to the pickle jar and let it run until the bag is coated and the water is clear.
    Your ready to go. Just move the in/out tubes to your aquarium.

When you're finished backwash the filter to remove all the gunk and diatom powder and recharge it when you want to use it again.
    I usually backwash mine in the fishroom deepsink or out in the back yard with the garden hose.
    Last edited by PhishPhreek; 12-12-2009, 01:16 AM.
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

thanks. where do i get the powder from for the best price. i plan on using this alot so i would like to buy it in bulk or at least in lbs
      fishless

Comment

Diatom Power is also used in swiming pool filters and large bags of the stuff is relatively cheap ant any discount swimming pool supply store.
        When I worked for Anhauser-Bush they used very large diatom filters to filter the haze out of their beer. I think they bought it by the truck load but I don't remember the source.

Some people also add very fine activated charcoal with the diatom powder but I have never tried it.
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

just saw it on the Leslie's pool supply site for under $14/25lbs. is that a good deal or can i find it cheaper?
          fishless

Comment

Can't help you there, I'm still working on one I bought 7 years ago. But is it worth 10% if you have to drive 5 more miles ?

Comment

i went to leslies and the box came out to $11 after taxes. i didnt know this sh** was so fine.
              fishless

Comment

try not to breath any it is harmful to the lungs
                scott
                beam me up

Comment

these filters are the $HIT!!!!!!!!!!!! im glad i got these. i only paid $70 for both of them and it was well worth it. one was brand new in the box and the other one is and leaks a bit but thats not a problem it works like magic.
                  fishless

Comment

Details....details....

What size tank are you using it on? How long did it take to clear? Why was the tank hazy?
                    Our Fishhouse
                    Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

you can get replacement seals for the lid or put a little vasalene on the old seal to make it stop leaking.

Yep, if it will filter the "haze" out of beer, you know it can make your tank sparkle and you can forget about any "ick" making it to the next stage of life.

Comment

I took about 3" of gravel out of my tank this weekend and then put my diatom filter on it. Then I shook my head and wondered why I didn't think to turn the filter on before I made the mess.

Cleared up incredibly nasty water in about 1hr, and crystal clear over night.

Comment

Originally posted by imagirlgeek View Post
                          Details....details....

What size tank are you using it on? How long did it take to clear? Why was the tank hazy?
                          i've been using them when i service tanks. monday i went to a preschool and serviced a 55g. the tank was a MESS! the water was green and glass was covered with algae. first thing i did was start the filters up. then i cleaned the glass and started the python. I only took a 1/3 of the water out because i didnt want to ph shock the fish. within 45mins the tank was crystal clear.
                          fishless

Comment

These filters have been around for the last 45 years or so.... I can remember using them when I was a kid....

Yes... the powder is very fine... My Mother always got upset because that powder would get into the vacuum cleaner and it would go through the bag like nothing else...

Like what PhishPhreek said.. this will take the ick out of the tank rather effectivly as the filter is that fine.... that is why its called diatamaceous earth... or diatom..

The bag can rot rather easily tho... Do clean the bag... then dry it when possible.

The motor on the old ones I had did have two lube joints to drop some sewing machine oil into.

I seem to remember something about a valve adapter that went onto the end to make the powder less hard to use.... you actually put the powder into the jar... fillted with water..... opened the valve up and topped the water off.. then turned it on.. it would coat the bag... then you could turn the valve the other direction into the tank and no mess no fuss just use the filter...

The neat thing with these... you can literally rip a tank to shreds... gravel and all... put the filter on.... and walk away for an hour or so... come back.. and Brand new spanking tank..

Check them out on the craigslist, ebay and discount places..

Bill

Comment

The votex super char carbon is awesome. It will take out chlorine and ammonia very fast. Clean haze,discolor water you would think you could drink it. Jay

Comment

Working...
                              X