Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do all your water changes including gravel vacuuming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do all your water changes including gravel vacuuming?

There are a wide variety of opinions on the frequency and sizes of water changes.

My question is - Do all of your water changes include gravel vacuuming? If not, how often do you run the vacuum?
    Jarrod - Houston, Texas
    150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
    17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
    5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
    3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

I know its bad, but I only gravel vac once in a while. I do massive water change twice a week though.

Comment

My livingroom "Show" tank is 105g 4' tank w/ plants & many Tetras. I use 2 Emperor 400 HOBs and a UG filter w/ dual power heads. I don't vacuum the gravel.
      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

5 of my 7 tanks are planted and don't get gravel vac at all. The discus tank has pfs substrate and gets vacced once a week. The 55 tang tank has blasting sand substrate and gets vacced at least every other week.

Mark
        What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

I vacuum everytime.

My 75 is a busy tank with live plants co2 injection and it's bordeline overstocked so I feel that it's important to do it.

I think it also helps control ammonia and nitrate levels.

Comment

I also vacuum every water change.
            150G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
            125G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
            115G Tanganyikan

Comment

I vacuum every time, as well, including my planted tanks.

For my planted tanks, I do not plunge the vacuum deep into the substrate. I simply hover on top to pick up the crud on the surface. I will sometimes plunge into a plant (such as a carpet plant or java moss) to pull crud out of it since they tend to capture and hold more crud.

On my 90g with sand, I vacuum much more vigorously. I first try to pick up whatever is on the surface, and then I plunge into the sand. I do this primarily to keep the sand stirred up. It keeps the sand soft and prevents a build up of algae on the surface layer.

I have just started blowing out the caves to get the crud out of them, as well. I work harder on my 90g to clean out the crud because of the nature of the tank. With only a few plants and a substrate that keeps the crud on the surface combined with fish with high requirements for good water quality, I think it's extra important to pull out more of the crud in this tank than my other tanks.

I think whether you vacuum, how often you vacuum, and how thoroughly you vacuum depends greatly on the type of tank and fish you have. This may account for the variety of answers to this question. There is no single answer that fits all tanks.
              Vicki

• 90g Planted - Journal - New Pics Mar23
              • 75g Planted - Journal (on PT)
              • 29g Planted - Journal
              • 29g Planted
              • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

In the tanks I have with Gravel, I do vaccum everytime.

The only time I would suggest not doing it, is for about 1-2 months after tank setup.
                380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

If I had any gravel I would vacuum often. I only use pool filter sand and only a thin layer. Sometimes I will run my hand thru it and stir it up. Then do the water change. I only vac up the poo on the surface of the sand when the tank is almost refilled from the w/c. I only do this once a month.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

i vacuum everytime....

Comment

I vacuum everytime.

Comment

I vacuum almost every day. I dont do water changes every day, but the poo at the bottom of the tank destroys my universe so I clean it every chance I get. I usually do my big water change every Monday where I move all the rocks and vacuum under all of them, clean any algea, clean my filters, and i empty at least 50% of the water.
                        If it ain't wild caught
                        You ain't doing it right

Comment

Working...
                        X