X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"slower rate" as in...how slow?
    250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

Chris mentioned leaving the MH's on while water changing...I do do this...I will try to turn the lights off while doing my next couple water changes. I will try doing a less percentage during my next couple water changes as well. If it is a bloom, can I just add some of the "bacteria in a bottle" stuff to help it out?

Comment

Originally posted by cichlid1409 View Post
        when you say 'all media is 1 year old', is it all biological media? you should be able to fix this without buying a UV sterilizer.
        no, the Aquaclears are setup with sponges in the bottom layer and the "rings" on the top...no carbon. The Eheim has the "rings" on the bottom and bioballs on top...and then a thin layer of cotton like material on top.

Comment

Originally posted by fshfrk View Post
          I have 3 unused uv's you are welcome to borrow one. Will need a new bulb though.
          maybe bring them with you to the meeting this weekend and we can try it out. thx

Comment

Originally posted by newb View Post
            If it is a bloom, can I just add some of the "bacteria in a bottle" stuff to help it out?
            No. You'd just be adding more bacteria to the bacteria bloom.
            Vicki

• 90g Planted - Journal - New Pics Mar23
            • 75g Planted - Journal (on PT)
            • 29g Planted - Journal
            • 29g Planted
            • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

anything?
              Tropheus Elitist Maximus
              150 Troph & Petro mix Link
              ** P.Trewavasae P.F.Chimba P.M.green **
              ** T.Zongwe**

150 Tropheus Moorii "Murago" Link

Comment

magic beans?
                I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Please tell me you've fixed this problem without spending all the time and cash these people have mentioned. While everyone has great advice, I prefer to stick to the old fashioned basics and my tank is crystal clear 24/7. If you want me to, I can come over this weekend and try to help you. Personally, I think you need to get rid of the MH. I know they look awesome, but that much light might be the source of your algea outbreak.
                  If it ain't wild caught
                  You ain't doing it right

Comment

never getting rid of the MH...tank is clearing up slowly. I believe I cleaned too many of the filters too quickly. I have been water changing small amounts at a time, and turning the lights off while changing water, and adding bacteria "start-up" for about 3 days now. It will be back on track soon. I think the black background mixed with the old bulbs on the MH are not making the water look as clear as it could. Next purchase...new MH bulbs. Gonna also get timers for my lights so that they are not on as long as they have been each day.
                    Last edited by newb; 01-18-2010, 10:43 PM.

Comment

if you have it under control, keep doing what you're doing. Did you ask anyone about the bio balls being submerged?
                      If it ain't wild caught
                      You ain't doing it right

Comment

I read online and it said it was just a big debate that people have stated both good and bad results...Im leavin' it.

Comment

Working...
                        X