activated carbon bags in overflow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• activated carbon bags in overflow

well i was going to buy a vortex or magnum 350 to clean up water.but that cost money to buy and run.i came up with a cheap option.i allready have the mag 12 pump consuming electricity so i found a way to use the mag 12 pump water flow to my advantage.
    at joanns fabric they have 10 mesh wedding bags for $4.99.size are 3x2 and 4x6.i got the small 3x2 inch bags filled 4 of them with 7 heaping teaspoons and tied a single knot.oh by the way bags are none scented dont worry.anyways i placed them in my eshopps overflow model # 1800.once they have one knot they wont come loose cause gravity and water flow keep them together.these bags are refillable to.can fill with any media.
    when i redesign my sump iam going to incorparate filter socks down to 50 micron this should make perfect.
    tut 003 (2)..jpg
    Last edited by rullypullyfishhead; 03-28-2010, 08:06 PM.

nice diy but i dont like to use carbon ever....purigen if anything
    I make people happy

Comment

really why not carbon.dont you use carbon as prefilter for water changes?
      maybe cause it will consume to much ammonia cauing benefical bacteria population to dwindle?
      i need to make a carbon snake or something for water changes soon as well.
      thx mark.
      hum i also see carbon absorbs salt.and ich dosent like salt.which mean could be a underlying problem in the future.
      Last edited by rullypullyfishhead; 03-28-2010, 08:26 PM.

Comment

I do not use carbon either.
        150G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
        125G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
        115G Tanganyikan

Comment

The only carbon I use is for my carbon bottle.

I use purigen for my filters.
          Last edited by myjohnson; 03-28-2010, 09:40 PM. Reason: sp
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I sometimes used a media sock and filled it with ammocarb.....that was my way of "assisting" the filter ....I am a big fan of ammo carb....but i believe it's considered "old school" these days....???

CF
            Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I used to use carbon also, but I'm a believer in purigen now. :)
              300g - Petrochromis Texas "Red Fin" Longola, Petrochromis Red Bulu, Tropheus Red Rainbow Kansanga.

Comment

ive seen purigen work wonders. i DO NOT use carbons just for geo suspiscion of causing HITH on my fish plus its a waste of money because i dont need it to keep my water clear, the only use of using carbon in my opinion is to remove medications and in carbon bottles to remove chlorine and break the chloramine bond. if you are really having problems keeping your water clear, i say stay away from chemicals and other products like that and just use pillow fiber or quilt batting
                I make people happy

Comment

Originally posted by tbui1178 View Post
                  I used to use carbon also, but I'm a believer in purigen now. :)
                  Magic beans I tell you.

It's either the purgien or Linda's stockings that's keeping my water clear.
                  Last edited by myjohnson; 03-28-2010, 10:07 PM. Reason: sp
                  I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
                    It's either the purgien for Linda's stockings that's keeping my water clear.
                    I thought it was Linda's stocking that worked the magic. The beans just gave the stockings more surface area. lol
                    300g - Petrochromis Texas "Red Fin" Longola, Petrochromis Red Bulu, Tropheus Red Rainbow Kansanga.

Comment

My gf does wonders

Comment

Turn over to your right and tell her that we are talking about her stockings on the BOX.

I should post a picture.
                        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

LOL! That's Laili's stockings, she's under age bro.

Comment

That's Fned man.

You didn't have to go there.
                            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

i dont use carbon either but thats a good use of the wedding bag.
                              25g - Reef
                              3.5g - Surge Tank
                              10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Working...
                              X