GPH on 175 gallon question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPH on 175 gallon question

We hooked all the plumbing up on the 175g last night and filled. The tank had came with 2 Mag Drive 9.5 (rated 950 gph) so we hooked up both to start with. First problem I noticed was "Holy cow the Angel fish will be blown from one side to the other"! To me it looked like wayyy too much flow in the tank. Second problem was the sucking sound on one of the drain line. We turn off on of the pumps and now there is no sucking sounds and looks like much better flow to me. So do you guys think I can get away with running just one or do I need both? It was a reef tank before so I am sure this was the reason for both pumps how ever I am turning it into a South American tank. Thanks for any answers.
    "I will not buy another fish, I will not buy another fish....dang where did that come from???" )

GPH opinions are all over the board.

I think 1 mag drive is more than enough.

I was told by a old timer years ago to shoot for 4 to 5 times turn over per hour.

I've lived with that every since and have had good results.

I'm working on a 125 and I'm going to run 1x 2217 and 1x 2226or a flow around 600gph with a HOB rated at 500gph for polishing and help during water changes.

Comment

I would say 1 is enough. You should have put a valve to control the flow.

Comment

A wet dry only needs 4-5X tunrover just like the old timer said, that would make about 780 gph is all that is needed for that wetdry to function.

Using 1 Danner Mag 9.5, if your return is about 4-5 ft above where your pump is sitting, it should be flowing between 750 and 800 gph.
        http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?category=Danner_Mag_Drive_Supreme _Water_Pump_Up_to_500_Gallons_Per_Hour_Submersible _Water_Pumps&vendor=Danner_Mfg.&idProduct=DN1111&I dCategory=FIWPSBUF&child=DN1127&tab=1&size=9.5%20( 950%20gph)

Perfectly fine running one.

Can you give the size of your drain lines and how many you have?

If you need added flow, just add a small powerhead.

This being a Angel fish tank, more flow is not needed, but alot of that would depend on stocking level and planted or not.
        380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
        300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
        180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
        150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Thank you so much everyone for all your help. Discovered the sucking sound was caused due to one of the drain lines sagging and fixed that problem. We are only going to run one pump and keep the other one for back up in case the other goes out. I also have my UV sterilizer if more flow is needed.
          Geoff I plan to plant this tank pretty heavy, have 11 Sword plants (not sure of type) that will be going in it and my mother plant never seems to know when to stop making babies lol.
          Stock will be about 6 Angels, 3-5 Parrots (not sure on the extra 2 parrots) , 10 Rainbows, 5 German Rams, 2 Pearl Gouramis, and 2 Dojo's. There are some guppies and platies in it right now to cycle it so what ever lives in that group may stay. I would like to add some Geo's and Silver Dollars if you guys dont think I will over load the system with them.
          "I will not buy another fish, I will not buy another fish....dang where did that come from???" )

Comment

Here is a couple of photos I took last night, dont be to hard on me guys I am still working on decor. Have Slate and Carved Lava coming in later this week and if the drift wood David got me for Mothers day dont sink soon I will weight it with some slate and fishing line.

Comment

for some reason your picture is not showing for me.

I think that stocking level with that many plants will not be a issue.
              380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
              300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
              180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
              150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Sorry Geoff I had linked it from my Facebook account. You will have to right click on it and open in another tab I guess I need to set up a Photobucket account so I dont get in trouble on here for not posting photos lol.

Comment

Lower flow may result in higher contact time with media.

For angel fish you don't need a lot of flow.

If one mag works...then i would go with that.
                  I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Ok set up photobucket so lets see if this works

Just added the plants and driftwood in, I have 11 more plants of this same kind to add. Biggest one is 3 times the size the size of these.

One of the blue male Guppies my daughter gave me to cycle the tank along.

A few of the other guppies, they look pretty small and lost in here.
                    Hopefully my rock should be in soon and the drift wood will decide to "take a dive"
                    Last edited by seminoleranch; 05-11-2010, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X