Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a carbon bottle remove chloramines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a carbon bottle remove chloramines?

I'm just curious if these carbon bottles many are using remove the chloramines from the tap water. I've seen conflicting posts on it and so now I'm confused.
    Our Fishhouse
    Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

no John was telling me there is a certain kind of carbon you need but he has not located it yet
    Tropheus Elitist Maximus
    150 Troph & Petro mix Link
    ** P.Trewavasae P.F.Chimba P.M.green **
    ** T.Zongwe**

150 Tropheus Moorii "Murago" Link

Comment

check out http://www.calgoncarbon.com/carbon_products/index.html
      they seem to have every possible kind of carbon
      215g Malawi Peacocks and Mbuna
      180g Tropheus Ikola and Bemba and Clown Loaches
      58g Bristlenose breeding and grow out

Comment

I was asking the same questions before I upgraded my carbon bottle to see if it was actually worth it. I literally read hundreds of articles. The info below, I think, is a good summary of what I found while doing the research.

"Chloramine, which consists of a mixture of chlorine and ammonia, is added to the water of many cities as a substitute for free chlorine. It is often referred to in the plural, as “chloramines,” because it can take on a number of forms according to the pH and mineral content of the water.

The whole reduction discussion for chloramines can become quite complex, but the main thing you need to know is that chloramine is removed from water with essentially the same strategies that are used to remove chlorine. This means that carbon filtration is the best removal method, and, contrary to urban legends, filter carbon does indeed remove chloramine. The problem is that it takes more carbon and more contact time to do the job. In practical terms this means that if your city disinfects your tap water with chloramines you’ll need to get a larger and better carbon filter than you would need if chlorine alone were used.

For drinking water you can consider high quality carbon units like Multi-Pure, or double and triple units that use lots of carbon. And, contrary to another widely promoted myth, reverse osmosis units do remove chloramine. In fact, they do it well, because any good RO unit contains a couple of carbon filters and the water gets an extra slow pass through the first one.

In choosing carbon for chloramine removal, a specially prepared carbon called “catalytic” carbon is far superior to regular carbon."

I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Ah...okay. Catalytic Carbon...that stuff is expensive (by comparison).
          Our Fishhouse

Comment

Yeah, it is! And not many people even carry it. I was trying to order some for my bottle.

But in the end, I made the decision that normal carbon will have to do for now.

I'll rethink when I have to change out my carbon bottle.
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
              Yeah, it is! And not many people even carry it. I was trying to order some for my bottle.

But in the end, I made the decision that normal carbon will have to do for now.

I'll rethink when I have to change out my carbon bottle.

That will take many many years

Comment

If i'm not mistaken chloramine is chlorine and ammonia bonded together, so the two must be broken down before it can be filtered out and when that is done you are left with the ammonia issue.

It's been awhile since I researched this and too lazy to dig through my archive of articles/studies that I found.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Here ya go...info about it on the EPA's website, to back up what you are saying EK. http://www.epa.gov/safewater/disinfection/chloramine/
                  Our Fishhouse

Comment

Thank you Traci!

I have some articles that go further into depth about the process of breaking it all down, been so long since I dug through it all so hopefully I'll find it.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I think catalytic carbon is marketing BS. Going to make a 50ft carbon snake and see what happens.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Originally posted by fshfrk View Post
                        I think catalytic carbon is marketing BS. Going to make a 50ft carbon snake and see what happens.
                        I was scared of the same thing. Seems kind of new to me. Once I get my hands on a test kit, I'll post up my results.

I hope 75 pounds of carbon can remove it.
                        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Personally what I see as the biggest improvement with carbon use is the water clarity when its added back and the removal of most other wastes or contaimenates.

If there is any concern about chloramines, I would just treat the amount of water changed out with Amquel or Prime.

just my .02
                          380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                          300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                          180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                          150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Basically.

Even when I was using my smaller carbon bottle I was still adding prime.

I just saw the carbon bottle as insurance.
                            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Working...
                            X