Korilla 4 - making noise acting weird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korilla 4 - making noise acting weird

I have a korilla4 that is 2 yrs old. It started making a noise after cleaning it last night. every 8-12 seconds it goes AGHHHHHHHH for a second or two. I know it's probably needs a new impeller. I would have thought I could have got another couple of years out of it before I had problems. sitting on top of the tank no sand ever got into it. Quality on these are suspect to me. I have to tie wrap the front cover on to keep them from coming off. What ya'll think?
    Last edited by geoff_tropheus; 05-29-2010, 12:16 AM. Reason: more descriptive title - search hit

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Can you describe the noise it was making again?
    120g - Tropheus Moorii Kambwimba
    180g - Petrochromis Macrognathus Dine/Tropheus Moorii Namansi I

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

Comment

I never heard a stock K4 do that before. My MJ modded K4 does that once in awhile. I think its because it's trying to go backwards. As for the shroud coming off, I haven't had a problem with mine yet and they are the same age as yours.

Comment

Geoff's sometimes do that when they're closer to the water surface than normal. Do you see a whirlpool above it when it makes that noise? Or is it a different "AGHHHHHHHH" noise?
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu View Post
          Geoff's sometimes do that when they're closer to the water surface than normal. Do you see a whirlpool above it when it makes that noise? Or is it a different "AGHHHHHHHH" noise?
          +1

Mine does this whenever i sit them too close to the surface . Just like MB stated ....if you see that whirlpool then it's probally too close to the surface .

Comment

HaaHaHaaa! MB yea I checked for it being to close to the surface but I am going to move it down and recheck it. Thanks. Jim, not all of my korillas lose the cap just 3 I bought a few years ago. Gene the noise sounds like finger nails on a chalk board to me!

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Mary Beth wins it quit! Thanks

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Originally posted by supadave View Post
                +1

Mine does this whenever i sit them too close to the surface . Just like MB stated ....if you see that whirlpool then it's probally too close to the surface .
                Dave, I checked for that vortex whirlpool and I could not see one. I guess if you get at the perfect level you won't see one but you can have the perfect storm. Thanks ya'll!

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

I have like 2 K4's that the motor crapped out on me, so if you need spare parts I got a couple shafts and impellers if you need them down the road I'll give you
                  380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                  300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                  180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                  150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Working...
                  X