Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you turn off your filters and powerheads during feeding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you turn off your filters and powerheads during feeding?

I have problems with too much food getting onto the black sponge covers in my HOB overflow.
    Yes I turn my cannisters off
    0.00%
    No I don't turn my cannister off
    36.84%
    Yes I turn my wet / dry off
    15.79%
    No I don't turn my wet / dry off
    0.00%
    Yes I turn wet / dry and cannister off
    5.26%
    No I don't turn my wet / dry and cannister off
    42.11%
    Jarrod - Houston, Texas
    150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
    17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
    5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
    3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

I use food that sinks. It used to drive me crazy when the food when straight into the overflow.
    Our Fishhouse
    Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

If you have to turn off filters just to feed your fish...you need new filters. I used to you HOB filters until I started having this problem. I switched to canisters and never looked back. Just my opinion though.
      If it ain't wild caught
      You ain't doing it right

Comment

Originally posted by FrontosaurusRex View Post
        If you have to turn off filters just to feed your fish...you need new filters. I used to you HOB filters until I started having this problem. I switched to canisters and never looked back. Just my opinion though.
        I think he's talking about food going into the overflow, not an actual HOB filter.
        Our Fishhouse
        Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Ah. I re read it...my bad. I've never used an overflow...
          If it ain't wild caught
          You ain't doing it right

Comment

I don't turn off my HOB filters on my freshwater tanks, but I do turn off my Wet/Dry filter on my Saltwater. There's too much flow in that tank and the food is immediately sucked into the filter system before the fish even have a chance to eat any of it.
            55g - Blood Parrot, Cichlid, Silver Dollar, Flying Fox
            29g - Mixed Tetra
            29g - Mixed Freshwater
            20g - Planted guppy
            2.5g - Betta
            14g Biocube Reef
            Future 20g Long - Figure 8 Puffer

Comment

The problem may be that I am pushing a ton of water through that overflow. I use a sinking food but occassionally the pellets don't sink right away. I also mix in some veggie flakes with spirulina which gets sucked into the overflow quickly.
              Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

If feeding flakes you might want to release the flakes under water.

I push a lot of water also and I don't have this problem with the above mention practice.
                I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
                  If feeding flakes you might want to release the flakes under water.

I push a lot of water also and I don't have this problem with the above mention practice.
                  I have had mixed success with this. Not all food will readily sink even if you dunk it.
                  Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

Only if i am feeding flakes in the tanks with an overflow.
                    www.ventralfins.com

Comment

In your situation turning the filter(s) off for five minutes while you feed may be the easiest solution, provided restarting them isn't a giant pain. It won't hurt your filters to do so, but if your canister(s)' a little dirty it will sometimes puff out a cloud of mulm on restart.

Mark
                      What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodaden View Post
                        I have had mixed success with this. Not all food will readily sink even if you dunk it.
                        Honestly, if you want no food at all to go into the filers, then feed a sinking pellet.

I feed NLS. I position my auto-feeder to dump food out right in front of my return line and all the food is pushed down before it goes into the overflow.
                        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I put the flake and pellets in a plastic cup. Dunk it and fill it with water. Then dump it. All the fish get to feed and nothing goes into the overflows.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Working...
                          X