Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting rid of MTS in canister filter/media

Here's the scenario:

I have an Eheim 2262 filled with mostly Pro Substrat. The tank it was previously filtering had a bad MTS bloom and now that tank is gone. The 2262 is to be moved to an already in service 300 gallon tank with no MTS at all. I would like to rid the filter and media of all MTS so that I can install it on my 300 gallon tank without fear of MTS contamination. Any suggestions??? My goal is to keep the expensive eheim bio material, but if necessary I will sell/dispose of and add new.....

Thanks guys and gals!

I told you to boil it foo.
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I heard that the eggs can make it through a boil...

Comment

give me the media then.
        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

There are chemicals you can use to kill the snails.
          Last edited by myjohnson; 10-19-2010, 09:49 PM.
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Bleach nothing survives that.
            Resident fish bum
            330G FOWLR
            34G Reef
            330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
            28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

had to fill my FX5 w/ very salty water and sit long enough to see those buddies float..

rinse everything-canister, media, etc w/ lots of water ----so far no MTS survived... yea !!!!!

worked for me and just saved the had-a-snail for emergency... couldn't make my self use a "copper" product in that 300g & in danger any future residents
              "There will come a time when you have a chance to do the right thing."
              "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by. "
              -Dead Man's Chest

Comment

fill the canister with straight bleach and let sit. make sure even the top O-ring section is soaked. take the media and either boil it or put it in the oven/microwave.
                250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
                  I heard that the eggs can make it through a boil...
                  MTS are livebearers...No eggs.

I like Virginia's solution. But bleach would most likely work, as well, like others are saying.
                  "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

After treatment to kill the snails, a fine sponge over the intake will keep 'em out in the future.

Mark
                    What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                    X