Recall on Marineland Stealth Pro heaters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recall on Marineland Stealth Pro heaters

I received this email this morning from PetSmart and thought I would share it for anyone who might be using these products.

February 11, 2011

Dear Valued PetSmart Pet Parent,

Marineland has issued a voluntary withdrawal of the Stealth PRO Submersible Heater (100, 200 and 250 watt). The product is being withdrawn due to a quality issue.

If you have this product, please stop using it immediately and take the following steps:

1. Unplug the heater from the wall to stop the flow of electricity
    2. Let the heater cool for 15 minutes
    3. Remove the heater from the tank

Please bring the product to your closest PetSmart for a full refund or exchange. Replace the product with a comparable heater as soon as possible to maintain the temperature of your aquarium. A PetSmart store associate can help you select the right heater for your aquatic environment.

If you have questions about this withdrawal, please call Marineland Customer Service at 800-526-0650 or 800-432-6986.

At PetSmart, we are concerned pet parents, too. We will continue to do everything we can to help you and your pet during this time.

Sincerely,

Debbie Gonzalez
    Vice President, Brand and Customer Marketing
    120g - Tropheus Moorii Kambwimba
    180g - Petrochromis Macrognathus Dine/Tropheus Moorii Namansi I

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

Did you happen to call marineland to find out why they issued the recall on those heaters?

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up anyway....

CF
      Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I did not contact Marineland as I don't have any of these products. I just wanted those who do to know there may be an issue
        120g - Tropheus Moorii Kambwimba
        180g - Petrochromis Macrognathus Dine/Tropheus Moorii Namansi I

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

Comment

Thanks so much for the information. I was about to buy 3 of them.

Comment

Good looking out ....Gene . I have been reading a lot of threads on different forums about this brand of heaters exploding .

Comment

+1, there have been a massive increase in complaints to the manufacturer after release of the above listed heaters. I notice there are more reports of the heater exploding and or leaking in sw tanks compared to fw tanks but I wouldn't risk it and return it even for fw applications.

I have the 150w verison for 2-3 years and the 50w version for 1.5 years with no issue. On all my other tanks I run titanium heaters.
              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I got this email as well. Brought my 3 stealths back this morning and brought back Fluval M heaters. (it was either these, topfin, aqueon or $110 petsmart cash that I dont need!) I'm trying to do research on it, does anyone know if the Fluval M healers are Fully Submersible? It doesn't say fully on the package and they show water level lines on the heater itself. Tried calling Fluval, but mon-fri hours. It seems to be 50/50 yes/no from what I can find via google.

Does anyone have experience with Fluval M heaters?
                Thanks

Comment

Thanks Gene!

Comment

Yeah, the heaters overheat and explode. The "shatter-proof" casing splits and metal flys out.

FG had a tank shattered because of a heater "malfunction".
                    75 planted (Being Renovated)
                    Endlers
                    gobies
                    lots of nanos

Comment

So, what do you do if you bought the heaters from LFS like City Pets and Fish Gallery and DO NOT have a receipt? Do I contact Marineland directly?
                      ADA mini-m planted
                      ADA mini-m riparium
                      ADA 30-C nano reef
                      ADA 90-P community Tanganyikan
                      ADA 120-p overflow Full reef in progress
                      Eheim 90cm SA biotope
                      110g Peacocks

Comment

Originally posted by screename View Post
                        So, what do you do if you bought the heaters from LFS like City Pets and Fish Gallery and DO NOT have a receipt? Do I contact Marineland directly?
                        You can go to petsmart and they will give you credit store or just replace it for another brand

Comment

is this only for the newer model with the light on the top?
                          i have one of the older models that simply has the red knob to select the temp.

Comment

Originally posted by mgarrido View Post
                            You can go to petsmart and they will give you credit store or just replace it for another brand
                            I hope so! I just made a quick run through and found 11 of them One was flickering on/off, on/off every second! I bet they are going to think I'm running a scam or stole them.
                            ADA mini-m planted
                            ADA mini-m riparium
                            ADA 30-C nano reef
                            ADA 90-P community Tanganyikan
                            ADA 120-p overflow Full reef in progress
                            Eheim 90cm SA biotope
                            110g Peacocks

Comment

Thank for the info, Gene! I took mine back to Petsmart and had no issues getting it replaced.

Comment

Working...
                              X