RR 180 with cannister filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR 180 with cannister filters

I've got a new RR 180 that is drilled and ready to go. I am thinking about hooking up my intake and exhaust from my eheim 2262 directly to the bulkheads instead of using the eheim supplied intake and exhaust piping. I'll have one 2262 on each side so each overflow would have it's own filter. What I'd like to do is just screw on a strainer to the bulkhead and then attach the 2262 intake directly to the bulkhead then reverse it for the exhaust.

I'm concerned about a couple of things -

The water fall effect if the level is to low in the overflow (living room display tank)
    Sucking air into the intake of the filter

I also considered just capping the intake bulkhead and putting the Eheim piping into the over flow area so as to hide it them plumb my exhaust up to the bulkead. And I may do this as a starting point to see how the overflow reacts before hard plumbing it all in.

Has anyone done this? Anyone see any potential pitfalls?

Thanks!

Jason
    180 - reef
    30 - reef

I think we had a good talk so what we discussed should've answered your questions J good luck
    Custom Aquarium Cabinets Justin Henry 281-739-8723

Comment

thanks man! Photos of your work coming soon....
      180 - reef
      30 - reef

Comment

I was thinking about doing the same thing.

My concern is when lights go out and the pump is turned off.

Water from the tank could drain into the overflow (and could flood the main tank area) just like it does a sump on a normal wet/dry set up.

The question becomes how much water can the RR overflows hold. If it can't hold all the water then either the tank will flood or the canister will run dry.

The problem could be fixed if the flow on the eheim 2260 is reduced to the degree that it matches with the amount of water that would be housed in the RR overflows.

I also thought about putting an eheim 1250 on a 2260/62 canister and seeing if those amount of flow would work. But I haven't tried any of this yet.

You could just plug up the pipes and just run a small pump inside the RR overflow. Operate it like an AIO JBJ tank or something like that.

p.s. J, what was the discussion about, I like to know. :)
        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I ran an Eheim on a RR tank before. What i did was flood the overflow so that it was the same water level as the main tank.
          Resident fish bum
          330G FOWLR
          34G Reef
          330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
          28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
          Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by Darbex View Post
            I ran an Eheim on a RR tank before. What i did was flood the overflow so that it was the same water level as the main tank.
            OIC, that would work!

But you lose the skimming from the overflow.

I might just run two more eheims on my 8 footer.

I have a feeling my 5 foot sump is going to make too much noise. :(
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by Darbex View Post
              Brian,

What effect did this set-up have on the "skimming" ability of the overflows if any?
              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

well the problem was that it was going to be another six week wait on the wetdry that is why he wanted to plumb it that way but Donnie at City Pets came through with a big wetdry that he had in stock now it's all on

Comment

I had a planted with CO2 so I didn't need any turbulence. But you could flood the over flow partly so that there is a little cascade.
                  Resident fish bum
                  330G FOWLR
                  34G Reef
                  330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                  28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                  Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Just run the water in the OF a few inches low for surface skim. If you want add a ATO into the OF box to control evap and water level.

Comment

Nahh, to much work with the ATO and everything. Im either going to run a small pump in the overflow itself or go with two eheim 2260/62 and flood the overflow Darbex style.

For more surface turbulence I'm just point the returns up towards the surface.
                      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Ended up getting a wet dry to run with the 2262. Here's my plan -

Run the wet/dry pump (mag 12) to one return and the eheims exhaust to the other return. Intake for the wet/dry will be via the (2) overflows and the eheim will be fed via it's included intake tube.

I have it up and running now with just the wet/dry running and the mag 12 feeding both returns. I think there may be to many 90s (3) and T's (1) in the the pump return as the flow coming out of the system is really weak. That's why I think I am going to try it like the system above and see if I can get more flow out of a straighter shot.

Anyone know where to get 3/4 tubing that isn't flattened? Or at least how to straighten and open up the stuff from Lowes?
                        180 - reef
                        30 - reef

Comment

I swear I am about to take a sledge hammer to this loc-line :aua:
                          180 - reef
                          30 - reef

Comment

Everything is up and running with one minor issue - the 2262 is a little noisy. Will this subside with a little break-in? It doesn't sound like something is wrong but you can definitely hear a hum outside of the cabinet.
                            180 - reef
                            30 - reef

Comment

I don't know none of mine ever made noise out of the box. Question did you instahl and tighten the four screws that hold the motor down?

Comment

Working...
                              X