Inline air diffuser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inline air diffuser

Going to be building an inline air diffuser for my stream tank build. My question is should it go before or after the pump?
    Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

depends on the type of pump? if its a needle wheel type impellor it will chop the bubbles up very fine. if a regular impellor or fountain type pump it may cause cavitation and noise / seal wear. on a main pump for riverine type flow its probably best if its after and maybe try an atomic inline co2 disffuser or similar
    75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
    28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
    12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
    29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
    45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
    33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

Originally posted by Totenkampf View Post
      depends on the type of pump? if its a needle wheel type impellor it will chop the bubbles up very fine. if a regular impellor or fountain type pump it may cause cavitation and noise / seal wear. on a main pump for riverine type flow its probably best if its after and maybe try an atomic inline co2 disffuser or similar
      That would work but the input/output isn't big enough lol
      Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

how big does it need to be? (TWSS)

GHAC Member

Comment

3/4"
          Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

they make a 16/22mm version but i wonder how well it would work with an air pump going to it. thats going to be much higher flow than your typical CO2 application. if it cant diffuse quickly enough then you might just blow the line. i guess your not trying to completly absorb the air but just minimize bubbles? if so a rex reactor would probably work. for more absorbsion maybe a bypass leg with a rex reactor coupled with a needle wheel pump. i have seen a co2 setup like that and the needle wheel impellor really does a good job.

GHAC Member

Comment

Originally posted by Totenkampf View Post
              they make a 16/22mm version but i wonder how well it would work with an air pump going to it. thats going to be much higher flow than your typical CO2 application. if it cant diffuse quickly enough then you might just blow the line. i guess your not trying to completly absorb the air but just minimize bubbles? if so a rex reactor would probably work. for more absorbsion maybe a bypass leg with a rex reactor coupled with a needle wheel pump. i have seen a co2 setup like that and the needle wheel impellor really does a good job.
              yeah this might be something I add later still trying to figure it out...
              Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Working...
              X