Determining Overflow Rating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Determining Overflow Rating

It's best to have the overflow rated higher than the pump as a factor of safety. The design of the overflow box, especially the part outside the tank in your overflow, sometimes restricts the amount of flow so you need to take that into consideration as well.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a Mag 9.5 has more head loss than the PCX40 so you're definitely gonna flow more than you expect with the PCX40.
    http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

I was referring to adding a seperate overflow in addition to the one I have. But looks like I made a dumb buy. Thanks for the comments.
      210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
      125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

Not really, just way for the right overflow to come around. I have the Iwaki equivalent of that pump in my 135 and it's awesome. Thought the bearings were going out on it but a little bit of motor oil has fixed that problem. It goes a lot of water for sure.
        http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

I wouldn't say it was a dumb buy. Just get a larger overflow or add more and have them drain to the same sump

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

Originally posted by mistahoo View Post
            I wouldn't say it was a dumb buy. Just get a larger overflow or add more and have them drain to the same sump

This is what I was trying to ask. If I could add another overflow to make up the deficit
            125g Mdoka White Lip

Comment

Originally posted by moganman View Post
              This is what I was trying to ask. If I could add another overflow to make up the deficit
              Yes you can

Comment

So I took the chance and purchased two U-Tubes since the PVC tubing wasn't continuous. That made the difference. Pump is flowing wide open with no problems. Based on how fast the pump was going dry with the PVC, I'm assuming they were only allowing about 450-475 gallons per hour each.
                125g Mdoka White Lip

Comment

Working...
                X