Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Tap Water

Hey Guys,

I took my tap water to the LFS today and had it tested. It showed ammonia, nitrates but no nitrites. Can that be correct? What should I do? I've never had this problem before. I'm in Harris Co. where we got a lot of flooding.

Thank You, Liz

That's pretty typical for most of houston. Our water systems use chloramines which is a combo of chlorine and ammonium. Seachem prime/safe break apart that bond, removes the chlorine and makes the ammonia less toxic to the fish. Which then your bacteria can break down. Just do small water changes for the next couple weeks until the water stables some

Comment

Sorry to be anal but about how small of a change? I have a 75 and 30gal tank. I was going to get some amquel but the LFS told me not to. He said to just clean the tank and the beneficial bacteria would take care of the ammonia. I've never had this issue before.

Thank you for the advice.

Originally posted by Andrew_B View Post
      That's pretty typical for most of houston. Our water systems use chloramines which is a combo of chlorine and ammonium. Seachem prime/safe break apart that bond, removes the chlorine and makes the ammonia less toxic to the fish. Which then your bacteria can break down. Just do small water changes for the next couple weeks until the water stables some

Comment

I guess it's all relative, but do 20-30% water changes. Yes, use amquel or prime. You need something to take care of the chlorine

Comment

Thank you so much Andrew. I have API that I use all the time. I'm really worried about hurting my water babies.

Originally posted by Andrew_B View Post
          I guess it's all relative, but do 20-30% water changes. Yes, use amquel or prime. You need something to take care of the chlorine

Comment

Beth, What LFS told you not to use Amquel?
            Chlorine and Chloramines is why you need amquel or prime. Chloramine will show up in your water test as ammonia and we have a lot in our tap water here. Amquel plus will make the water safe.
            Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
              Chlorine and Chloramines is why you need amquel or prime. Chloramine will show up in your water test as ammonia and we have a lot in our tap water here. Amquel plus will make the water safe.
              +1. You need something to neutralize the chlorine and chloramine.
              010G Long fin BN grow-out
              020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
              020G Leulepi grow-out
              020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
              030G Leulepi breeder
              030G SRD FlowerHorn
              040G Hongi Sweden breeder
              090G Tangs community
              100G Tangs community
              150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Originally posted by Beth777 View Post
                Sorry to be anal but about how small of a change? I have a 75 and 30gal tank. I was going to get some amquel but the LFS told me not to. He said to just clean the tank and the beneficial bacteria would take care of the ammonia. I've never had this issue before.

Thank you for the advice.
                I think you can swap out as small as 10% weekly for 75 and 30 gallon tanks. Always add Prime or something to take care of Chlorine in the tab water.
                010G Long fin BN grow-out
                020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
                020G Leulepi grow-out
                020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
                030G Leulepi breeder
                030G SRD FlowerHorn
                040G Hongi Sweden breeder
                090G Tangs community
                100G Tangs community
                150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

It was Fish and Pets Unlimited. He wanted me to buy a small bottle of Jungle Ammonia and Chloramine Eliminator. I always get API but I thought that to be on the safe side maybe I should get Amquel or whatever that was that he had behind the counter. Can't remember the particular brand right now, but I know it was one of those ammonia lock products.

Maybe it says something negative about me as a fish keeper, but I haven't checked tap or aquarium water in years. The only fish I've lost was due to an ax murderer on the lose. I used to check tap and tanks a lot and my tap never registered anything, but again, it's been years.

You guys are GREAT! Thank You!

Comment

I've always used API. I'm just nervous with all of this flooding.

Originally posted by ptran View Post
                    +1. You need something to neutralize the chlorine and chloramine.

Comment

The guy at Unlimited Fish and Pets knows that I use API, he just didn't feel that I needed to add any thing like Amquel.

Comment

As a fish keeper. It's not a bad thing to worry about. Doesn't make a bad keeper of fish. Truth is I never test my water passed a month after setup. I do 50% water changes ones a week. I use AmQuel plus. I never have any problem. Some like prime. Both work.
                        Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Ok good, that means he didn't steer me wrong. I've been going to them since they were just mom and pop trying to make a fish store in a hole in the wall, so to speak. I think he sold me that little bottle of jungle just to make me feel better. lol I think I just did the smallest water change ever. If everyone is ok in the morn then I'll do another little one.

As a fish keeper. It's not a bad thing to worry about. Doesn't make a bad keeper of fish. Truth is I never test my water passed a month after setup. I do 50% water changes ones a week. I use AmQuel plus. I never have any problem. Some like prime. Both work.

Comment

i use the API max strength dechlorinator as well. i dose each bucket before it goes into the tank as opposed to just guessing how many gallons i am treating. i know i overdose, since 1mL treats like 10gal at this concentration, but it doesnt harm the fish at all. especially after all this rain when the water company more heavily doses the water going into the home, my overdose breaks down everything.

i usually do around 30-40% every 7-10 days in my tanks, but my tanks are also understocked so i can go longer if a heavy rain occurs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beth777 View Post
                              Hey Guys,

I took my tap water to the LFS today and had it tested. It showed ammonia, nitrates but no nitrites. Can that be correct? What should I do? I've never had this problem before. I'm in Harris Co. where we got a lot of flooding.

Thank You, Liz
                              I use Amquel + to detoxify the ammonia and nitrite and Novoquel to break the chlorine/ chloramine bondn as well as add slime coat to prevent stress. I fill a 45 gallon trash can and put these in it with a airstone for at least an hour if not 2-3 to allow the chemicals to work. afterwards there is no trace detected on a test.

Comment

Working...
                              X