powerhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• powerhead

I bought 2 topfin 50 powerheads to replace 2 6 year old ones that quit working. These are a new design, and will not aereate. I have the hose hooked up and wide open.No big deal, as I never used it on the old ones, except after a waterchange, I liked the cloud of tiny bubbles. The hose is supposed to draw air into the flow of water, causing bubbles.Any one know how to make it work? I can blow thru it creating bubbles, so I know it's not clogged up.

Don't you need an air pump for those?
    Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

i have never used topfin powerheads, so i just pulled this off Google. Looks like the air tubing is for hookup to an under gravel filtration system.

i dont think by default the powerhead aerates? just gives circulation and filtration instructions. possibly the air bubbles being produced via the filtration system?

A dirty fish tank is not only disgusting, it can also be deadly for your fish. Keeping your tank's water circulated and filtered is a necessary and never-ending process which can be made easier with motorized circulation and filtration systems.

Comment

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
        Don't you need an air pump for those?
        No. The old ones bubbled like crazy. This one, like old one, has a regulator valve on end of hose, it should act like a "pickup" tube. I called Topfin, but it was Petsmart. Didn't know what I was talking about. A pump would work, but it should work without.It is supposed to draw air thru the tubing, and be regulated with the valve.

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
          i have never used topfin powerheads, so i just pulled this off Google. Looks like the air tubing is for hookup to an under gravel filtration system.

i dont think by default the powerhead aerates? just gives circulation and filtration instructions. possibly the air bubbles being produced via the filtration system?

http://www.ehow.com/how_7808745_inst...powerhead.html
          They are referring to the lift tube, attached to the tray undergravel. This is airline tubing,"Equipped with an air inlet tube and an air regulator to increase oxygen supply" It hooks up to the return nozzle, drawing air from outside the aquarium.Just doesn't work for some reason. Oh well I wouldn't use it anyway, as it hides the fish.

Comment

Working...
          X