What is that stuff anyway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is that stuff anyway?

Thanks again everyone for all the good input.....it's always appreciated.

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Mark,

Freshwater fish urine is less dilute and is still expelled thru the skin.

380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
      300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
      180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
      150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Article states both do it but one has it easier than the other
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Nice article Geoff.....
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

"and not to mention a breeding ground for all kinds of poop nasties"
            very nice wording!!!
            I love my Fahaka "Peter" puffer.

Comment

I'm glad I dont pee through my skin. Eewww.

Comment

Originally posted by mrairportjunke";p="
                I'm glad I dont pee through my skin. Eewww.
                well, technically........oh wait there are children likes roaming.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by geoff_tropheus";p="
                  Mark,

Freshwater fish urine is less dilute and is still expelled thru the skin.

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~delbeek/delb11.html
                  You're reading that backwards, geoff. Osmosis moves water INTO freshwater fish through the skin and gills. The kidneys expel the excess water as VERY dilute urine; i.e., almost no salt loss from the body in the urine. Freshwater fish can urinate up to 30% of their body mass daily. The fluid in a freshwater fish, namely the blood, is has a much higher concentration of salt than the surrounding water. Osmosis tries to achieve balance of ions by pushing water INTO the fish and pulling minerals OUT of the fish. That's why freshwater fish have virtually no need to drink water. Osmosis is pushing water into the tissues through the semipermeable membranes of skin and gills.

Marine fish, on the other hand, drink almost continually to replace water that osmosis is pulling OUT of their skin and gills because the surrounding water is MORE salty than their internal fluids. Marine fish expel very little, highly concentrated urine to expel the salts that osmosis is pushing INTO their bodies.

Mark
                  What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Mark, I think we are talking the same thing on two different points.

Freshwater fish absorb water and do not have to drink it, salt water fish loose water and thus are always drinking the water.

But BOTH FISH TYPES produce Urine that is expelled thru the skin.

Comment

you all lost me.... i thought we were talking about some kind of poop slime now we are learning how fish pee???lol

Comment

Originally posted by geoff_tropheus";p="
                        Mark, I think we are talking the same thing on two different points.

Freshwater fish absorb water and do not have to drink it, salt water fish loose water and thus are always drinking the water.

But BOTH FISH TYPES produce Urine that is expelled thru the skin.
                        LOL geoff. We're just gonna have to agree to disagree on this point. Here's another link on the subject:

fishdoc.net is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, fishdoc.net has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Urine leaves the body through the vent, not the skin. Anyway, the horse is dead...I'll quit beatin' on it now.

Mark
                        What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

na.  hes still kicken

Comment

keep digging Watson!!

Looks like both are wrong, and that they have a common opening for Digestive and Urinary, so it would come out from the Anus and not the vent.

Lots of conflicting things going on, seems some say skin, others say gills, but most say anus.

Comment

Comment

Not that it matters but they swim in their own waste so if it's not coming out of one it's at least touching  
                                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                                X