eheim question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eheim question

i have a 2217 on my 75 gallon, and i have a 2215 sittin here collecting dust.
    i dont have the disconnects and hoses for it, and i was thinkin about just filling it with bio media and using regular tubing for inlet and outlet...since id be using it for mainly bio filtration, i wouldnt service it as often as the 2217.
    anyways, if i did that(2 canisters running) should i leave some bio media in the 2217 or just mechanical filtration(probly carbon too) any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks

I run all of my canisters mainly bio.... they have all bio-media with only the coarse sponge at the bottom.

With your 2215 you could just get some hose from CityPets which is on beechnut/B8 and the QD's is up to you but it does make servicing that much easier.

I would leave the media that is in your 2217 alone for now till the new filter becomes established and then add more filterfloss etc. later. As for carbon... I don't use the stuff since it gets exhausted fast and I find it just isn't worth the hassle.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I wouldnt touch the 2217 at all, and then install the 2215 and let it populate itself.
      380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
      300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
      180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
      150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

I agree with the two gurus above, but I run mine a little different. When I had trophs in my 90 gallon, I ran my 2217 stock with bio-media, and my 2215 with mechanical & chemical. The 2215 I had 3 coarse filter pads (mechanical) and a bag of ammo-carb on top of that (chemical), and a layer of filter floss to finish. I had (what I considered) good results with this setup and never had water quality issues.

I have the same setup today with only a Flowerhorn in the tank and have never considered a reason to change the setup. If ever did, I would revert back to a stock setup with some ehfisubstrat or biostars in place of 2 of the coarse pads and the bag of carbon.

I would invest in the quick disconnects and avoid buying the Ehiem carbon filter pad. You'll thank yourself later when you need to clean it!

Whatever you decide, hooking the 2215 up can't hurt.
        Experiencing an aquatic renaissance!

Comment

I agree...

The flow of the 2217 would be more suitable to house the bio while the 2215 would be used as a piggy back for additional mechanical.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Jeebus has a good point. I'd definitely get the quick-connects for the 2215 so you can service it. I run all my canisters as strictly biofiltration. Mechanical filtration is accomplished by pre-filter sponges on the intakes which get rinsed weekly, or more often if needed. I don't use chemical filtration in any form. The carbon and zeolite in Ammocarb are both exhausted quickly. In a system with a healthy bacteria colony, zeolite is completely unnecessary as nitrifying bacteria will consume the ammonia.

Mark

Mark
            What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

thanks for the advice, sounds like ill do it then!!! peace

Comment

jeebus: how is your flowerhorn?

Comment

Working...
                X