How to quiet a sponge filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to quiet a sponge filter

So, we added a sponge filter to our 90g. Works great, but the bubbles breaking on the surface are NOISY and the pump itself it noisy (it's a Rena 400). I was wondering if adding an airstone to the sponge filter will help with the bubble issue and I'm not sure what I can do about the Rena. It's already sitting on a washcloth.
    Last edited by thekarens; 02-09-2009, 08:15 AM.
    Karen

Use a power head with a sponge placed close enough to the service to cause water movement. If you still want bubbles...some powerheads, like maxi-jets come with a small hose that runs from just before the output and above the service of the water. This can cause noise...I made a muffler for it so to speak by cutting a Q-Tip in half and inerting it in the hose above the water...cushion last. This allows air in but hardly any noise out.

Hey it works.
    Raul
    PokerFace

Comment

I'm using it mostly for filtration with the added benefit of bubbles. You'll often see these filters in discus tanks. Dan has them in his.
      Karen

Comment

Originally posted by thekarens View Post
        I'm using it mostly for filtration with the added benefit of bubbles. You'll often see these filters in discus tanks. Dan has them in his.
        I understand. A powerhead adapted to a sponge does the same thing but solves your noise issue.
        Raul
        PokerFace

Comment

You can buy some airstones that put out really tiny bubbles if they will fit in your lift tube on the airline, that will also quiet some or most of the noise. That's what I do and it works for me.
          Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Thanks! Hate to waste the money we spent on them :). If the tank wasn't in the bedroom it wouldn't be an issue.
            Karen

Comment

On the noisy Rena, try taking it apart and see if you can tell what is making the noise. I normally just toss air pumps when they get too noisy, but you can replace or patch some of the internal parts. Or, try putting a few coins or something on the bottom and putting pressure on where the diaphram might be, if it lessens the noise, then wrap tightly with rubber bands or wire of some sort.

Edit: Does the pump have two outlets? If it does and you are only using one, put your finger over the end of the unused outlet and see if the noise lessens. If it does, you can just put a piece of tubing on it and either close it down with a valve or tie a knot in it.
              Last edited by szidlon; 02-09-2009, 09:48 AM. Reason: Add stuff I forgot, again...
              Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

i've never used a Rena pump...i swear by the whispers i get at petsmart though....they are sooooooo quiet.....i've had them for over a year and no peeps..out of them.....

Comment

Still noisy?

CF
                  Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Working...
                  X