Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water pump for aquariums

this is a stupid question, but i need to find out

(1) are there pumps available for use in aquariums that can take/transfer water from one tank to another?

(2) specifically if i have tank on the floor, can i use some sort of a pump to fill up a tank on a stand about 3 feet above the level of the tank on the floor?
    65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
    55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
    30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Im sure ur can find submerisble pump. Like the ones they sell for ponds. Harbor Freights usualy has them for sell pretty cheap (not the best quality, but if u dont plan on running continously then they should be fine)

Comment

i use a powerhead....14.99.......

Comment

thanks somefishguy and fishlady

fishlady... what is a powerhead and where do i get them? can they transfer water from a low tank to a high tank ?

live and let live

Comment

it depends th fasted way would be a pump a power head is going to be a little weak. are you doing this contiually or for a short period of time like a couple hours or so?
          altums 90 gallon
          fahaka puffer 68
          community 60 cube

can't find it make it
          can find it make it better

Comment

I took a look at this weeks ad for Harbor Freights and here are a few thing u can use.

12 V utility water pump (not submerisble but transfers water none the less) $28 for 240 gal/hour 23 ft lift (they have larger as well)

Submerible sump pumps 3/4 Hp 3000 gal/hour $53 also have larger ones

But i swear i have seen smaller pump in thier add before thta lift something like 12 feet for under $20

Comment

well 2 things one the utility pump wil pull water (for about 5 min the break) but will still actually pull water. the submersible smaller onescan be found in pond and garden sections and some can be both where if you just screw a threaded fitting on there and it works

what type of gph are you looking for and do you want tit in the tank?

also are you doing a wetdry?
              altums 90 gallon
              fahaka puffer 68
              community 60 cube

can't find it make it
              can find it make it better

Comment

thanks guys/gals, i don't need it to work all the time, maybe an hour or two once a day or every other day.... here's what i'm trying to do:

i am going to convert my 65gallon into a discus focus semi-planted tank, in order to achieve a good water change schedule:

i want to set up a 20 or 30 gallon tank w/o fish or plants inside the stand
                then i want to store water in there for a day and pump it up to the 65 gallon every other day, so all i need the pump to do is transfer water from the 20 gallon to the 65 gallon once a day, i want to avoid using buckets or pipes to fill it up, just want to fill up the 20 with pipes, treat/heat the water in 20 gallon and then turn the pump on 24 hours later to transfer the fresh water into the 65 gallon, i also want to pump water out of my 65 gallon to the drain or sink w/o siphoning cr@p

i live in an apt and cant alter anything on piping or built in stuff
                Last edited by finfan; 02-19-2009, 05:05 PM.

live and let live

Comment

you live in the galleria area i would suggest one of the local fish stores...i use the odyssea 250, 350, and now i have a 550 in my wet/dry....i got my 550 at city pets, the others can be found at most locals from 19.99 to 41.99....i used a 250 to do water changes on 7 tanks in my house from a 55 holding tank for a few months....using the python tube without the connection on it....it worked fine....

Comment

water pumps

Most pumps in use today are magnetic coupled pumps (motor turns a magnet and matching magnetic turns the pump) They are easier to seal (no leaks) and electrically more efficient (use less power).
                    Pumps are rated by how much water they can pump to different heights (head) The higher they have to lift the water, the slower the water goes.
                    here are some flow / head numbers to look at

Most mumps can handle a 3' head... the question is how fast do you want to pump the water. Most advertised flow rates are at 0.0 head so compair to the above chart to get real numbers. (also elbows, valves and other obstructions in the path will reduice the flow rate.

I have a couple of the $8 ones for water changes but bigger is better.
                    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I use the $10 ones from harbor freights. Works fine for years.

Comment

thanks guys, this will really help, i might have to get more than one to do multiple tasks, do any of you have any DIY systems that you have built for water changes? if so, please feel free to share what works/does not work

live and let live

Comment

Lowes has a lawn watering timer with 2 solenoids that should be perfect for a drain and fill system.
                          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

thanks guys... very useful info.

pp... good one :)

live and let live

Comment

Working...
                            X