Bloody Nostrils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloody Nostrils?

I purchased 5 golden rams on Friday and today I see one has developed red nostrils that wasn't present yesterday.

I read a similar posting on Simply Discus where many were suggesting that pale color fish simply have this trait or grow out of it, another person said it may be a bacterial infection that happened to one of his canary yellows that within a couple days had spread and caused its eyes to bulge like popeye does. He treated it with Kanamyacin and all was well.

I need some advice, as I owned rams before not having much luck the first go round yet here I am again owning them. I mentioned this last week while in a fish store to which was suggested that I purchase a UV steralizer. Would this be a good idea?

If isolation and treatment with Kanamyacin is recommended, can I get this at any fish store or will any bacterial medicine work?

The tank is about 75 gallons and understocked housing only a stripped loach, 5 albino corries, 7 ottos, 1clown pleco, 1 zebra dano, 1 ember tetra and about 1.5 dozen yellow shrimp. It is lightly planted and I just did about a 30% water change on Sunday and there are no detectable nitrates or nitrites.
    Last edited by djmatthewblack; 03-11-2013, 11:01 PM.

I know that rams will fight a little. The noise of the fish will get bloodred for the fighting. But its hard to say with out seeing the fish.
    Also Rams (Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi) are earth eaters. So caring for them is like Geophagus.
    Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Working...
    X