Dragon fly nymphs , getting rid of ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragon fly nymphs , getting rid of ?

I have a couple ponds in the yard and occationally bring in plants for aquariums. Despite rinsing ,small dragon fly nymphs will sneak in. Last year the nymphs ate 2 batches of young angels.
    I just started a 125g and see there are 2(?) small nymphs ,came in with the vallenisaria. No fish in the tank yet .
    How can I remove nymphs ?

Use tweezers or a small net they ones I have before were easy to caught another solution is to dip your plants in a potassium permanganate solution for a few minutes to kill all the unwanted hitchhikers.
    Luis

Comment

juvie carnivore dovii, jag, ooh, archerfish?

Comment

But that doesn't really solve the problem of trying to NOT have the fry eaten! :)

I agree with Navarro.
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I have seen that potassium permanganate was good for getting of pests from plants but have seen what concentration to use, do you know?
          Richard Douglas

Comment

This is the info I used when I first learned about it:

It's really not a very precise measurement, but I don't think it needs to be. Just know that you will use a VERY LITTLE amount of PP to color the water a deep pink. One container of this stuff will last you forever.

Comment

Most likely an abundance of dragonfly larvae did not come from plants but from dragonflies laying eggs. While dipping your plants will prevent YOU from adding pests to the ponds, it won't prevent Nature from doing it. Water Tigers are nasty little critters and the only predators that I know of for them are larger fish.

Mark
              What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

I think blacksmith's saying that the nymphs come into the aquariums when plants are brought in from the ponds. Am I correct?

Nevertheless, Mark, you're right. They can be pretty nasty to little fishes!

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu View Post
                  I think blacksmith's saying that the nymphs come into the aquariums when plants are brought in from the ponds. Am I correct?

Nevertheless, Mark, you're right. They can be pretty nasty to little fishes!
                  Ah...missed that part. Thanks, MB.

Mark
                  What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Your right it is not precise. In powder/crystal form it will last indefinably, once the solution is made it quickly reduces and turns brown. I left some in a 10 gal that I was using to treat salt water ICH in and it turned brown, stained the tank, in about 2 days. The warning they give about mixing with Formalin is good, but there a lot of other chemicals you should not mix it with. Glycerin is one, that is the mixture we used to make volcanos with before the schools got wimpy and made them to go to baking soda and vinegar.

Originally posted by Mzungu View Post
                    This is the info I used when I first learned about it:

It's really not a very precise measurement, but I don't think it needs to be. Just know that you will use a VERY LITTLE amount of PP to color the water a deep pink. One container of this stuff will last you forever.
                    Richard Douglas

Comment

Working...
                    X