Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Raffle Tank...what goes in a 30 Xtall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mzungu View Post
    They're a brackish water fish, and I think your tank might be a little small for them. I've never kept them, but a few people on here have, and can probably tell you more. :)
    how brackish is brackish?
    BEWARE Guard GUPPIES On Duty!

Comment

If you decide on the chromides, I saw some at Aquazoo the other day..and my friend took in a golden killi who was eating all her guppies. )

As far as making it brackish, just buy the cartons of salt for that purpose, and from there, its relatively easy.

Congrats on winning the tank also! It looked really nice, I just didn't have time to stay all day for the raffle.
      Currently fishless, but a proud mama to a musk turtle hatchling.

Comment

Originally posted by aquashelle View Post
        If you decide on the chromides, I saw some at Aquazoo the other day..and my friend took in a golden killi who was eating all her guppies. )

As far as making it brackish, just buy the cartons of salt for that purpose, and from there, its relatively easy.

Congrats on winning the tank also! It looked really nice, I just didn't have time to stay all day for the raffle.
        Got plenty of salt...being I have guppies/platies/swords...but what the amount says to add, is not enought for brackish I would think...how much salt per 1gal/10gal...? If I went with archers, I would have about 5-7gals of the tank not filled, to leave room for natural preditory area...i.e. to feed crickets

Comment

If you do brackish, you'll want to use marine salt.
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

If you do brackish, you'll want to use marine salt.
            Ah....k....is it expensive? And then how much of it do I use per gal/10gal?

Comment

Nah - much less expensive than the FW aquarium salt sold at LFSs. As for how much, I dunno. You'll need to get either a hydrometer or a refractometer in order to measure the salinity/specific gravity of the water you're mixing. Usually brackish tanks average a specific gravity of 0.015, which is halfway between fresh and full salt.
              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Nah - much less expensive than the FW aquarium salt sold at LFSs. As for how much, I dunno. You'll need to get either a hydrometer or a refractometer in order to measure the salinity/specific gravity of the water you're mixing. Usually brackish tanks average a specific gravity of 0.015, which is halfway between fresh and full salt.
                Hmmm..sounds halfway complicated......I know they would be a cool fish to keep, but I am scared to not have everything right for them...I have a school of cull guppies occupying the tank right now, to help cycle it. So who ever I get, has food waiting for them as we speak right now. I filled the tank with water from my other tanks, an have now put a small HOB from one of my other tanks on the 30...so the only new thing in the tank is the substrate. I just don't know what way to go. This is turning into a nightmare as far as choices goes. I have decorated the tank with petrified wood, an driftwood, will post pics later so as it might help with what goes in the tank. Keep in mind I did not paint the back of the tank, an have not put up any back ground yet. Also decided against the rock pack for the back...it just cluttered the tank too much.

Comment

K so here's what it looks like right now...kinda boring..

The new centerpiece in the 55 community..better water circulation. driftwood, an anubias nana

some of the L144's

And the Showa Koi Swordtails

Think thats it for today's picture taking

Comment

i was going to keep a few of the archers in the 55s i had, but when i think about keeping live food for them will drive me nuts, used to have a water dragon, but they need live crickets... and a few always ecape and it always drive me nuts at nite

Comment

Originally posted by mahoro View Post
                      i was going to keep a few of the archers in the 55s i had, but when i think about keeping live food for them will drive me nuts, used to have a water dragon, but they need live crickets... and a few always ecape and it always drive me nuts at nite
                      See...we have cricket year round out here..so were used to them making noise in and outside the house....not to mention they will eat the guppy culls too...

Comment

They like some salt but I've kept them straight fresh with no problems...and bred them in the same...
                        Charles Jones
                        http://www.breitbart.tv/obama-dems-i...unders-intent/

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have. --Thomas Jefferson
                        Guns are responsible for killing people much the way pencils are responsible for misspelling words.

Comment

Originally posted by marauder_77868 View Post
                          They like some salt but I've kept them straight fresh with no problems...and bred them in the same...
                          So are they a farely easy keeping fish?

Comment

yeah...set it and forget it
                            Charles Jones
                            http://www.breitbart.tv/obama-dems-i...unders-intent/

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have. --Thomas Jefferson
                            Guns are responsible for killing people much the way pencils are responsible for misspelling words.

Comment

Working...
                            X