combining tanks, your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• combining tanks, your thoughts?

i'm getting back down to one tank guys. and i'm wondering about the logistics of combining my new world with my african tank. as far as the water parameters, the tanks have the same water in them, as they have both been acclimated to city tap. as far as size, my only concern are my oscars, who greatly outsize my other fish. now the largest oscar doesn't eat other fish, even when feeder fish have been introduced. the smaller one (7in) does though, and i suppose there would just have to be a wait and see period on him. the smaller fish in the 125 all have hiding spots. any thoughts or concerns that someone who has done this or attempted this might like to voice?
    140 New World Cichlids
    125 African Lakes Victoria and Malawi
    80 Lake Tanganyika (Burundi Frontosas)
    30 Pundamilia Neyerie Ruti Island group
    29 Tropical Semi Aggressive/Community
    And to think....in January it was just the 29...)

Size is not the only concern here. I don't know what other fish you plan on homing with them, but... well... oscars really aren't that aggressive. Sure, if something will fit in its mouth, the oscar will try to eat it; but my niece does that too. Nobody calls her aggressive.

I'd say you can do it... just be careful. I'd be certain that the smaller fish are in the tank first and that you add the oscars later.

How small are the "smaller fish"? How aggressive are they? I've seen a group of demasoni rip apart a large oscar.

I've housed various Pseudotropheus with Oscars and convicts with no problems.
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Is any of the two tanks you're proposing to combine with another the one you're currently having problems with? If so, I would wait until whatever it is that is killing the fish has completely healed and you have not seen symptoms for at least a few weeks before putting any other fish with those infected.
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Working...
      X