No announcement yet.

Circiut breaker trip on the coldest day. All my @#$$%^! fish in garage gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to hear about your loss. Thanks to everyone else for your input, I think a lot of us take it for granted the electricity will be there
    120g - Tropheus Moorii Kambwimba
    180g - Petrochromis Macrognathus Dine/Tropheus Moorii Namansi I

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

Comment

Well this could turn into one interesting DIY project. All you need is 10 car batteries to run a 120V heater(s) and a 120V coil relay to change from house power to battery power. And yes there are some nice systems that will dial out or log on the internet to send you a status. You could even put a video camera on the tank thermometer. (but these are not your cheap and easy projecs) I was able to run and entire water treatment plant over the net in 1997 and I know the hardware & software is so much better now.
      Somewhere out there their might be someone running a Cyanide plant with a secure hookup over the internet....... think about it.
      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Originally posted by smk View Post
        ...i'm sure your heaters were running wide open which might have caused the trip...
        scott
        A good point Scott.
        The trip rating on a breaker, say a 20 amp, is good for the 20 amps if the breaker is in good condition AND the load on it is intermittant; i.e. cycles on and off. If the circuit is operating at continuous duty, or continuously for 3 hours or more, i.e. lighting, filters, powerheads, pumps and wide open heaters, the breaker will only deliver 80% of its nameplate rating. A circuit on a 20 amp breaker operating continuously can only pull about 16 amps before tripping the breaker.

Also, breakers have a finite number of trips. Each time a breaker trips it becomes a little easier for it to trip the next time.

Mark
        What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

you are correct and not knowing the age of the house the garage circuit could possibly be coming off the gfci in the bathroom plug in a hairdryer and thats it new code calls for 20amp ciruit in each rr for this very reason most don't even think of the load of a blow dryer 1500 to 1800 watts
          scott
          beam me up

Comment

Originally posted by smk View Post
            you are correct and not knowing the age of the house the garage circuit could possibly be coming off the gfci in the bathroom plug in a hairdryer and thats it new code calls for 20amp ciruit in each rr for this very reason most don't even think of the load of a blow dryer 1500 to 1800 watts
            scott
            Hmmmm...

I'll have to check for changes to the 2008 codebook. For 2005 it was an either/or situation. Either you have a dedicated circuit for bathroom GFCI receptacle and the lights and exhaust fan could be on different shared circuit or the bathroom itself was on a dedicated circuit for light, fan and GFCI receptacle which didn't get shared outside the bathroom.

John had a similar problem with his porch receptacle being shared with the bathroom GFCI so that his pond equipment went out when he used the blow drier in the bathroom.

Mark
            Last edited by wesleydnunder; 01-10-2010, 10:12 AM.
            What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

i'll look at my book when i get to work tomorrow but i think we are putting out more info than most people want know...lol... they just want their @hit to work....lol
              scott
              beam me up

Comment

Thanks everyone. I am thinking about selling off all garage equipment. Took a long time to get the fish I wanted. Raised all fish from fry.

Comment

Working...
                X