No announcement yet.

How do you keep your garage tanks warm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you keep your garage tanks warm?

I just recently set up a 65 in my garage with discus. I had to buy a second heater to get the tank temp up to 86 to transfer the discus over. This was after that big freeze. I checked the temp this morning and it was down to 80! Its already come up to 82 and climbing but idk. I have two 300W Aqueon heaters in that tank that are supposed to be good up to 90 gal each. The tank is on the inside wall. Is there anything else I can do? The discus seem fine except the lil guy but he stresses easily.

How do you keep your garage tanks warm during the winter?
    135 gal Fahaka Puffer
    150 gal Threadfin Acaras, Angels, Red Spotted Severum, Gold Severum, and a Silver Dollar
    185 gal Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Venustus, Rustys, Plecos, Clown Loaches, and Sharks

do you have lids on it ? that will save some heat.
    25g - Reef
    3.5g - Surge Tank
    10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

No I don't. I bought it for cheap off craigslist without lids and its a 65 gallon bowfront so its 39 inches across. I tried to cut a top for it but that ended badly. I have one piece of glass left so I probably need to find a shop to cut it but I don't know how much thats gonna cost.
      135 gal Fahaka Puffer
      150 gal Threadfin Acaras, Angels, Red Spotted Severum, Gold Severum, and a Silver Dollar
      185 gal Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Venustus, Rustys, Plecos, Clown Loaches, and Sharks

Comment

Originally posted by cichlid1409 View Post
        do you have lids on it ? that will save some heat.
        +1

The lids will help your tank to retain heat more. But I do think that those two 300 watt heaters should keep your 65gal. tank warm without a problem. Are both heters set at the same temp.? Also, you may to place the heaters on opposite ends of the tank for a more even dispersement of heat.

Comment

Installation man. On the garage first and the rest of the walls if you can.

And keep the filters (wet/dry in particle) off the ground. The cold is sucking heat from the wet/dry when water is in it.
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

herre are some inexpensive DIY tops

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

I don't know if it is worth it for you to do what I did with only one tank in the garage but..... I went to HD and got 3/4" foam sheets. Cut pieces to fit the garage door panels. Install the foam foil side in. What a big difference it made in my fish room. You can use the same foam for a make shift top and to keep you filters off the floor.

Comment

i used to use styrofoam as my lids... just cut em so they are tight and make a small hole for feeding that you can keep covered. cheap and effective. cut out for around your light fixture and filters. maybe even attach some to the back and sides of your tank for added insulation.
                My Name is Dave.......and im a Trophaholic.

Comment

Re: How do you keep your garage tanks warm?

How do you keep your garage tanks warm during the winter?
                  I thought garages were where you kept you car. (s)

--I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
                  -Stephen Roberts

Comment

That's just for normal people.

Do we look normal to you?
                    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

The tops will help...but bear in mind that when heaters are recommended in the 3-5 watts per gallon range it is designed to accomodate a room temperature differential of about 10-12 degrees. It might just be easier to get a ceramic core heater for $20 and heat the room a bit when its colder.
                      Charles Jones
                      http://www.breitbart.tv/obama-dems-i...unders-intent/

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have. --Thomas Jefferson
                      Guns are responsible for killing people much the way pencils are responsible for misspelling words.

Comment

The tops should keep most of the heat in. I have a 200 watt in the garage and the water is still warm

Comment

Yeah I bought a 2 x 4 sheet of that prismatic light cover stuff and just layed it on top. Tank was a perfect 86 the next morning. It was only like 7 bucks too
                          135 gal Fahaka Puffer

Comment

Working...
                          X