Flooring under large tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flooring under large tanks

Ok, I am trying to figure out what flooring I want in my living room (currently cement slab). It won't be carpet, but all other options are currently in play.

So, those of you with larger tanks (100g up), what type of floor is under your tank and how does it seem to be working?

Just looking for ideas right now.

Thanks,
    Bridget

I have carpet in my fish room now which I don't suggest. I've overflowed tanks a couple times and it was a royal pain to clean up. I know of one person who had their 125g on a laminate floor. When it sprung a leak his floor started buckling. I think ceramic tile would be your best bet. I think John (fshfrk) has that under his tanks. He also sells it.

Mark
    What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

I tiled my bedroom and swore I'd never work with tile again.....however, I did keep the tile saw, just in case.

Tile is a strong front runner along with a high quality vinyl. I'm pretty sure tile would end up cheaper.

I had concerns about the laminate, or I would already have a floor.

Anyone else?

Comment

Flooring under large tanks

Ceramic tile would be the best option for a fish room, laminate is also good but if you for accident drop a big rock over you floor and cause damage, ceramic can be replaced without to much work.

Comment

Originally posted by wesleydnunder View Post
          I have carpet in my fish room now which I don't suggest. I've overflowed tanks a couple times and it was a royal pain to clean up. I know of one person who had their 125g on a laminate floor. When it sprung a leak his floor started buckling. I think ceramic tile would be your best bet. I think John (fshfrk) has that under his tanks. He also sells it.

Mark
          Agree. Our tank is on ceramic tile. The few times I've overflowed its been easy clean up. However my living room is laminate and one of those overflows caused some buckling. And John does sell floor and he is a good salesman. He made us a good deal on ours. Good luck!
          Experiencing an aquatic renaissance!

Comment

Tile or wood look pvc floors. No wood, wood and water do not get along. I just flooded 200-300gal of water im my mbdrm. It was a pvc floor and I sucked it up with a shop vac, every towel in the house, set up a bunch of fans, turned down a/c. I was good to go. A wood floor I would have had to move the tank, remove the old floor, install a new floor. Spend $ on new flooring. I don't want to rent a floor. I want to own a floor.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

I did the vinyl tile. It was easy to do, looks good, and is super easy when water spills. We've flooded these rooms so many times and just wet-vac it up. Another room is painted cement. I like the vinyl tile better.
              Our Fishhouse
              Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

stain the cement. it will keep your house cooler during the summer and warmer in the winter

Comment

I have hard wood floors in my fish room and i've never had a problem. Unless you're spilling gallons of water on them, they'll be fine. I usually just keep a towel handy and as soon as i spill, i wipe it up. They make a foam pad that goes under the tank to help differeniate the weight, i'm not sure where this product is, but our flooring guy told us that.
                  If it ain't wild caught
                  You ain't doing it right

Comment

Working...
                  X