No announcement yet.

New Tank, New Substrate.......New....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tank, New Substrate.......New....?

K, got the Jebo filled and sand is in along with 20-40 HOB filter for now(it has good bio in it already). I need a 30 inch light for it. Would like to..I think put some plants in there on some driftwood...Forgive as I am slowly coming up with ideas here, ya'll can chime in at any time now!

I need to know what kind of light would work the best. I though about a T5 like this one:

Or:

Or:

But need some help. Oh, and other ideas on who to put in it, or what decor.
    BEWARE Guard GUPPIES On Duty!

Try the Marineland double bright led. Cheaper than T5 and more energy effecient. Plus you get the shimmer effect of metal halides.
    120g - Tropheus Moorii Kambwimba
    180g - Petrochromis Macrognathus Dine/Tropheus Moorii Namansi I

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

Comment

120g - Tropheus Moorii Kambwimba
      180g - Petrochromis Macrognathus Dine/Tropheus Moorii Namansi I

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

Comment

NICE...thanks. I might just go with that one. Look better then the others for the tank.....now to stock it?

Comment

I'd go with the Current fixture. If you're going to do live plants, that fixture has 2x24W T5s, whereas the Coralife fixtures have 18W bulbs.
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu View Post
            I'd go with the Current fixture. If you're going to do live plants, that fixture has 2x24W T5s, whereas the Coralife fixtures have 18W bulbs.
            The plant I was considering putting in there are low light...like anubias, java, maybe some sag or a few vals.

Comment

I think you'll still be better off with a bit more WPG. Since the Current fixture has HO bulbs, that'll give you about 1.5 WPG, and the Coralife fixtures will give you barely over 1 WPG, since they're not HO bulbs. Not a huge difference, but even for low light plants you'll want a little more than just 1 WPG.
              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu View Post
                I think you'll still be better off with a bit more WPG. Since the Current fixture has HO bulbs, that'll give you about 1.5 WPG, and the Coralife fixtures will give you barely over 1 WPG, since they're not HO bulbs. Not a huge difference, but even for low light plants you'll want a little more than just 1 WPG.
                Thanks...all in good time will I get all these guys together. Got to find some nice wood to put in there too...still got a long ways to go!

Comment

First picture...this is it this morning with a make-shift light over it, sand in, and HOB running. Another question. What color backing? I was going for black, but I don't know....

Last edited by lilmissruffcountry; 06-16-2010, 08:30 AM. Reason: forgot to add the photo...duh!

Comment

IMO I would go for a lighter background.
                    Resident fish bum
                    330G FOWLR
                    34G Reef
                    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by Darbex View Post
                      IMO I would go for a lighter background.
                      Like?

Comment

If you add a little filter floss (quilt batting) to your filter , it will clear the water up quicker for you.

Comment

Originally posted by supadave View Post
                          If you add a little filter floss (quilt batting) to your filter , it will clear the water up quicker for you.
                          Too funny. I just stuffed the filter before I checked this. Same thinking....NICE!

Comment

Working...
                          X