Leaking 2217

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking 2217

So I get up this morning and i smell a burnnig electrical smell.

I traced it down to my 125 aquarium and opened the door.

My power strip was smoking.

The cause was that one of my 2217's was leaking around the seam between the canister and pump head.

Any idea how I can cure this?

I've had 2217's for years and never had one leak.

use silicone grease on the o-ring to stop the leak. I assume that there is an o-ring at that junction. The silicone grease can be found in the plumbing section of a hardware store.

sunrise

Comment

Originally posted by sunrise View Post
      use silicone grease on the o-ring to stop the leak. I assume that there is an o-ring at that junction. The silicone grease can be found in the plumbing section of a hardware store.

sunrise
      +1, as long as it's just O ring age and not a crack or serious gouge in the plastic. I mount my plug strips up off the floor and make sure each cord has a drip loop for the reason yours was smoking.

Mark
      What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

+1 for the grease. As o-rings age they can comress. Treat your o-ring with silicone grease work it in to the o-ring and let it set for several hours before installing back in to the cannister filter. If this does not work look for any hairline cracks in the cannister. If no cracks are found and you have trated the o-ring you may need a new one. Please let me know I can order one for you....
        Best regards
        People who stand for nothing will fall for everything.

30 cube ( Hi tech planted)(for sale)
        29 bio cube (reef)
        20 cube (kids tank)

Comment

FWIW, I thought one of mine was leaking recently, and found out that I had a very, very small hairline crack at the base of the nipple at the top of the filter. The water would trickle down and appeared to be leaking at the spot you described. I took it to City Pets and one of the guys spent some time examining it and finally discovered that was the problem. I got a new motor housing piece and problem solved. He said he had never seen one leak there.

Comment

Originally posted by stevew14 View Post
            FWIW, I thought one of mine was leaking recently, and found out that I had a very, very small hairline crack at the base of the nipple at the top of the filter. The water would trickle down and appeared to be leaking at the spot you described. I took it to City Pets and one of the guys spent some time examining it and finally discovered that was the problem. I got a new motor housing piece and problem solved. He said he had never seen one leak there.
            Thanks,

I'll take a closer look tonight

Comment

Working...
            X