Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best way to store an Aquarium

Hi All,

I'm in the process of breaking my 300gal tank down to prepare it for a move. There is a chance that it may be a few months before I get around to setting it up again. What is the best way to store an aquarium. The tank is a glass tank and it may have to sit in a storage place or garage for a while.

Should I build some kind of crate for it? Would it be ok to stand it on it's end?

Thanks

IMO you don't really NEED any special storage instructions. But i found these useful.

1. Put a top on! Otherwise spiders and stuff may build webs all over the inside of the tank plus layers of dust and dead critters that somehow fallen in and can't get back out.

2. Elevate the corners / sides so that at least you can slide your fingers underneath. Otherwise it's going to be hell trying to pick up a 300 gal by gripping the sides of the tank. Place the tank on some 2x4s or some old wooden pallets or something.

3. As for standing on the sides, i don't see why you wouldn't be able to do it as long as you are not putting too much pressure on the corner as you are pivoting the tank to stand it up. Otherwise the glass may scallop and chip.

4. Lesson from my own stupidity. Make sure there are no pebbles or rocks UNDER the tank as you pivot it up or lay it down. Having a stray pebble between your tank glass and the floor is a sure way to have a shattering experience.
    www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Working...
    X