need some discus aid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some discus aid

got 3 discus in a 45 gal tank...biggest one is picking on the other 2 little ones. what can i do?
    I wonder what the waters ph is like here..

Get more discus. 3 is a BAD number for discus. I would get at least 1 more but really you should keep discus in groups of 5 or more with 10 gallons each for grown discus. What size are the ones you have?
    135 gal Fahaka Puffer
    150 gal Threadfin Acaras, Angels, Red Spotted Severum, Gold Severum, and a Silver Dollar
    185 gal Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Venustus, Rustys, Plecos, Clown Loaches, and Sharks

Comment

You need a bigger tank and more discus. 45gal is way to small.
      Fishtafarian- Fish are more than just a hobby, they are an obsession.

110 gal Tall (Angel Community)
      29 gal (Planted Puffer)
      10 gal (snails and small planted)
      5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

ive heard lots of yes and no's on the tank size but im hoping to upgrade over christmas...and the three i have are about 3-4 inches. what would be a good min. size for about 5-8 discus? 55 gal?
        Last edited by Andrew Campos; 12-23-2010, 05:19 PM.
        I wonder what the waters ph is like here..

Comment

Your tank is not small for 3 discus at this point, you will keep 5-8 if your filtration and W/C are good. For the aggression issue you need add more (3 or more) of the same size (3-3.5"). The biggest tank that you can afford is the better for your Discus, a 55g has ugly dimensions for them, if 4ft. Is your maximum length I will go with a 75g, 90g, 120g or 110xl (110xl is an excellent show tank for this fish but its hard to clean).

Comment

Originally posted by mgarrido View Post
            Your tank is not small for 3 discus at this point, you will keep 5-8 if your filtration and W/C are good. For the aggression issue you need add more (3 or more) of the same size (3-3.5"). The biggest tank that you can afford is the better for your Discus, a 55g has ugly dimensions for them, if 4ft. Is your maximum length I will go with a 75g, 90g, 120g or 110xl (110xl is an excellent show tank for this fish but its hard to clean).
            +1 I've got my 6 discus in a 75 and they seem happy with it.

If you go with the 110xl, rig a pully to the ceiling so you can clean it mission impossible style. )
            135 gal Fahaka Puffer
            150 gal Threadfin Acaras, Angels, Red Spotted Severum, Gold Severum, and a Silver Dollar
            185 gal Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Venustus, Rustys, Plecos, Clown Loaches, and Sharks

Comment

I have a 110xl and have no problem cleaning. I just use a ladder. After all the stand it is on is 40+ inches to start.
              Fishtafarian- Fish are more than just a hobby, they are an obsession.

110 gal Tall (Angel Community)
              29 gal (Planted Puffer)
              10 gal (snails and small planted)
              5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

Working...
              X