Anyone ever do an outdoor aquarium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever do an outdoor aquarium?

Just wondering if anyone has done an outdoor aquarium here in Houston. What did you do differently than an indoor aquarium? What kind of fish other than goldfish or Koi could live year round in one?

I really need to get back to work. I'm starting to think my grandma was right about that whole idle mind thing.

Yeah, I think most people call them ponds.
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Your an @$$ Thai. Lol. I think lilmissroughcountry was making a tank that will be outside.
      Resident fish bum
      330G FOWLR
      34G Reef
      330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
      28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
      Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Naw! Already have a pond. I'm thinking of an actual glass or acrylic Aquarium.

Comment

Seems like the obvious concerns would be weather highs and lows and possibly power concerns.....if your setting up near an existing building with power, that might not be too difficult to deal with, but the extreme heat and cold might be another story....Just my initial concerns, without deeper considerations......depending where you live, predators might need to be considered as well....???

CF
          Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Temps were my main concern. Maybe I'll just stick with the inside tanks and the Koi pond.

Comment

You could try most native species but your going to need to float from frozen bottles when it gets reall hot in the summer. When it warms up im setting up a tank outisde to grow my plants and breed my livebearers.

Comment

you could have a tank outside from like maybe late march until late november POSSIBLY.....

If you really had a strong reason/urge to do so....

CF
                Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

most of my tanks are outside year round. I have 200G, 90G, 20G, 30G outside. In the winters I use JBJ true temp heaters to keep my tanks warm, even when that Arctic blast came to Houston awhile back. with 29F outside the JBJ 1000W heater keeps my tank at 78F on a 200G tank. During the hot summer months I have JBJ 1/3 chillers to cool down the tanks. but keep them in a shady area. If U do try to maintain your tanks outside theres alot of risks as in power failure, or equipment failing or something.

Comment

Originally posted by FearThisG View Post
                    most of my tanks are outside year round. I have 200G, 90G, 20G, 30G outside. In the winters I use JBJ true temp heaters to keep my tanks warm, even when that Arctic blast came to Houston awhile back. with 29F outside the JBJ 1000W heater keeps my tank at 78F on a 200G tank. During the hot summer months I have JBJ 1/3 chillers to cool down the tanks. but keep them in a shady area. If U do try to maintain your tanks outside theres alot of risks as in power failure, or equipment failing or something.
                    What type of fish do you keep?
                    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

I keep mainly Tropheus in my tanks and some other Malawi Cichlids

Comment

Working...
                      X