Water District converted from groudwater to surface water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water District converted from groudwater to surface water

Received a letter in the mail today from my water district and it stated that they have converted from groudwater to surface water. Do I need to be alarmed, I currently use Prime when I do a wc.
    FALLBROOK UT
    ILITY DISTRICT

TO CHANGE DRINKING WATER DISINFECTION METHOD
    June 13

The Fallbrook Utilit
    y District's water system, which is in the Central Harris County Regional Water
    Author
    ity,
    will convert from groundwater to surface water supply for some or all of its water needs due to
    the requirements of the Ha
    rris-Galveston Coastal Subsidence District. This w
    ill require a change in the
    water disinfection process.
    On July 11, 2011, Fallbrook Utility District will be changing the water system disinfectant that we use
    from chlorine to chloramines
    . This change is intended to benefit our customers by reducing the lev
    els of
    disinfection byproducts in the s
    ystem, while still providing protection from waterborne disease
    Th
    e change to chloramines can cause problems to persons dep~ndent _ o!L9i~lysis Jnachines._A_ - -- - -
    condition known as hemolytic anemia can occur if tlie Clisinfectant is not completely remov
    ed from the
    water that is used for the dial
    ysate. Consequently, the pretreatment scheme used for the dialysis units
    must include some means
    , such as a charcoal filter, for removing the chloramine prior to this date.
    Medical facilities should also determine if additional precautions are required for other' medical
    equipment
    In addition, chloraminated water may be toxic to fish. If you have a fish tank, please make sure that
    the chemicals or filters that
    you are using are designed for use in water that has been treated w
    ith
    chloramines. You may also need to change the type of filter that you use for the fish tank.
    We welcome your questions and/or comments. Please contact WWWMS, Inc. our District Operator, at
    -895-8547, if you have any questions.
    !!!Live for today and not for tomorrow.!!!

Prime works for Chloramines, my MUD also started using them and I have always used Prime with no problems.
    150G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
    125G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
    115G Tanganyikan

Comment

Prime works to break up the chloramines into chlorine and ammonia, then it gets rid of the chlorines but makes it so your tap has ammonia. I'm sure your filters will break down the ammonia in minutes, but it will leave you with higher nitrates in general. Just make sure to do bigger water changes if you haven't been before.

Comment

At least they are warning you about the fish tank problems now.

mama says chloramines are the debil.
        25g - Reef
        3.5g - Surge Tank
        10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

I personally think smaller water changes might be better...less shock to the fishes.
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Working...
          X