Ammonia levels higher?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ammonia levels higher?

I remember seeing on a thread somewhere about ammonia levels rising in tap water after this big rain. Has anyone noticed this recently? I did a water change last night in my 45 after having 2 sudden deaths and this morning the ammonia levels were up. Not too crazy but still more than I wanted. I used Prime but I was wondering if I needed to over dose a bit.
    45G Cichlid and Turtle

Yes before the rain I tested my tap water with my api master test kit and it showed 0ppm for ammonia. After the rain Tested Tap water again and the test showed about 0.25ppm.....
    Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

What type of filtration do you have on that 45 gallon tank ? How many fish are in the tank ?

Comment

Eheim eccopro easy 80. Or something like that. It's a bit crowded now. I got it with about 6 or 8 cichlids and 2 albino tiger oscars. I have to get my 75 up and running before I can transfer them over.
        45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

Which part of town are you from?

It's not only the rain...it's also the fact that Houston is slowly converting to surface water and using chloramine vs. chlorine.

Most of Northern Houston has change. I would suggest using a carbon bottle along with prime/safe.
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
            I would suggest using a carbon bottle along with prime/safe.
            +1
            Custom Aquarium Cabinets Justin Henry 281-739-8723

Comment

I am near the galleria area. I don't know what you mean when you say run a carbon bottle. I really appreciate everyone who suggests things to do or products to buy or make. But it would help me out a lot more if when people suggest things they assume I am a moron and explain better or link a product. Because I can assure you I am much closer to a moron than the experts that are helping me realize.

Thanks,
              40GallonsofDerp
              45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

What is a carbon bottle?
                45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

Here is a expensive one. http://www.cleanairpurewater.com/water_equipment.html You can spend as little as $250.00 for a 2ft bottle. I got a new one that is 4ft tall for $450.00. Make sure it is filled with catalytic carbon because it will remove chlorine better than plain granulated activated carbon. Mine will not get all of the chlorine because I flow it to fast. So I still use Safe from seachem.To many tanks and to many water changes to slow the water flow on the water changes for me.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Working...
                  X